Help HELP - Boyfriend brought me home more fish than I told him to

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay so I sent my boyfriend to the LFS to pick up 3 harlequin rasboras to add to my 5 and 3 neon tetras to add to my other 5. We have a 60 gallon aquarium and I’m slowly adding up their school amount. We also have 3 Chinese algae eaters, 2 dwarf gourami(one that’s being moved to a different tank) and 6 cories. He came back with a weather loach, two crabs, the rasboras and tetras, and then an angel fish. Will the loach and angelfish be okay?? He said apparently the guy said they would all be fine together but who knows what he actually told them we have!

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gouramiwhisperer said:
Okay so I sent my boyfriend to the LFS to pick up 3 harlequin rasboras to add to my 5 and 3 neon tetras to add to my other 5. We have a 60 gallon aquarium and I’m slowly adding up their school amount. We also have 3 Chinese algae eaters, 2 dwarf gourami(one that’s being moved to a different tank) and 6 cories. He came back with a weather loach, two crabs, the rasboras and tetras, and then an angel fish. Will the loach and angelfish be okay?? He said apparently the guy said they would all be fine together but who knows what he actually told them we have!
Weather loaches usually like cooler waters (65F) and if the angelfish is still young it has a good chance of not eating the smaller fish like rasboras and tetras.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 4 large Angel Fish with my Loach, there fine. You may want to consider getting a larger tank or another tank to move some of the smaller fish into.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crabs? I definitely don't think they are compatible in a community tank. They need special set ups. Typically half full with a landing.

As stated, the loach requires much cooler water than angels. I personally wouldnt keep them together for that reason alone.

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DollyDolly bizaliz3 I have a 20 gallon long tank at work that has a couple of black molly and a couple of guppies and one Chinese algae eater. Could I move someone into that one?? If so which ones? I’m so bad at this kind of stuff

And I’m not completely sure what kind of crabs they are and why he even got crabs. He’s not into the hobby just likes to look at them so I’m sure that’s all he was thinking about

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same thing happened to me, my uncle ask me if I can take care of "A Goldfish" I say yes since it was just "A Goldfish". He came back an hour later holding a small container with 13 goldfish fries. Note I only have one 2.5g tank with one betta. I caught him almost pouring the guys inside my tank when he got home he did that because he thought I'm asleep but good thing I was just starting to doze off when he did that. I scolded him that Bettas and Goldfishes have different parameters and he just stares at me with a look that goes ( What are you saying!? They're just fishes).

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
rhyan said:
Same thing happened to me, my uncle ask me if I can take care of "A Goldfish" I say yes since it was just "A Goldfish". He came back an hour later holding a small container with 13 goldfish fries. Note I only have one 2.5g tank with one betta. I caught him almost pouring the guys inside my tank when he got home he did that because he thought I'm asleep but good thing I was just starting to doze off when he did that. I scolded him that Bettas and Goldfishes have different parameters and he just stares at me with a look that goes ( What are you saying!? They're just fishes).
Ugh yes that’s exactly the look I got from him. Luckily for me I have a tank at work where I moved some of these fish. I wouldn’t know what to do if that happened to me what happened to you!

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gouramiwhisperer said:
Ugh yes that’s exactly the look I got from him. Luckily for me I have a tank at work where I moved some of these fish. I wouldn’t know what to do if that happened to me what happened to you!
Ha ha ha well lucky you have spare tanks that time, me, I waited the next morning to buy a tank unfortunately the LFS open at 10am and the only open establishment that time are small store that sells fruits and plastic containers so I hurriedly bought a large container to put the fishes temporarily. I'm a bit annoyed that now I have many fishes to look after to but some how I loved looking at them swimming merrily I also loved how they interact when it's feeding time.

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
rhyan said:
Ha ha ha well lucky you have spare tanks that time, me, I waited the next morning to buy a tank unfortunately the LFS open at 10am and the only open establishment that time are small store that sells fruits and plastic containers so I hurriedly bought a large container to put the fishes temporarily. I'm a bit annoyed that now I have many fishes to look after to but some how I loved looking at them swimming merrily I also loved how they interact when it's feeding time.
Oh yeah I may get a little frustrated about the fish he chooses to bring me but I’ve kept them all and I love them all in their own different way...except maybe the crabs. I don’t really like those XD

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gouramiwhisperer said:
Oh yeah I may get a little frustrated about the fish he chooses to bring me but I’ve kept them all and I love them all in their own different way...except maybe the crabs. I don’t really like those XD
Honestly before reading your whole reply the part that you love them all I'm thinking how about the crabs then you mention it after I almost spill the coffee I'm drinking! My only question now is why the heck did he take a crab home? Did you ask him if really got it in the fish shop or from the market? I wonder how you would raise a crab as a pet.

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
rhyan said:
Honestly before reading your whole reply the part that you love them all I'm thinking how about the crabs then you mention it after I almost spill the coffee I'm drinking! My only question now is why the heck did he take a crab home? Did you ask him if really got it in the fish shop or from the market? I wonder how you would raise a crab as a pet.
I really called the guy at my LFS and asked him a full list of questions and made sure he did in fact get the crabs there and so the guy said yes and gave me some directions on how to take care of them. And I asked my boyfriend why he wanted a crab and he just told me it was something other than fish to look at XD

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
rhyan said:
Some people keep crabs as pets kinda like how people keep shrimp and crawdads. I want Halloween crabs but they should be in a species only tank they'll probably eat the fish lol there's a video on YouTube made by ants Canada where he builds a tank/scape for crabs it's awesome. :3

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Doomheadthebetta said:
Some people keep crabs as pets kinda like how people keep shrimp and crawdads. I want Halloween crabs but they should be in a species only tank they'll probably eat the fish lol there's a video on YouTube made by ants Canada where he builds a tank/scape for crabs it's awesome. :3
I’ve really grown to liking them..but they really also kind of scare me too. Lol maybe once they get bigger I won’t think they’re as scary but right now they look like little water spiders to me XD

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
E
Gouramiwhisperer said:
I’ve really grown to liking them..but they really also kind of scare me too. Lol maybe once they get bigger I won’t think they’re as scary but right now they look like little water spiders to me XD
Yay! Lol what kind are they?
I've only had a hermit crab before not a crabby crabs :3 one day.

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Doomheadthebetta said:
E

Yay! Lol what kind are they?
I've only had a hermit crab before not a crabby crabs :3 one day.
When I called the LFS the guy said one was a fiddler crab and one was a red claw crab! The fiddler crab has one small pincher and one big one and he’ll sit on a rock and just wave his big claw back and forth!

And right now they both somehow found a way to get up into my HOB filter :facepalm: that’s the only downside

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
Gouramiwhisperer said:
When I called the LFS the guy said one was a fiddler crab and one was a red claw crab! The fiddler crab has one small pincher and one big one and he’ll sit on a rock and just wave his big claw back and forth!
Awww so cute (๑•ᴗ•๑)♡

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is it weird that when I keep thinking about the crabs it will end up in the kitchen when they grow up? Except if they are hermit crabs.

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my grandma said “so you gonna grow them out so we can cook em?” the day we brought them home!! So I think of that too! And no they’re no hermit crabs. They look like small crabs you would see on the beach!

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You mean ghost crab? The ones that runs away fast and bury in small holes in the shores? or the giant ones that you can eat when it grows? That makes me hungry and want to eat a crab later. By the way can you post some pictures of the crabs and your tanks?

OP
Gouramiwhisperer

Gouramiwhisperer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
rhyan said:
You mean ghost crab? The ones that runs away fast and bury in small holes in the shores? or the giant ones that you can eat when it grows? That makes me hungry and want to eat a crab later. By the way can you post some pictures of the crabs and your tanks?
Here’s the fiddler crab!

IMG_0517.JPG

Here’s my angelfish!

IMG_0518.JPG

And then a full picture of the 60 gallon in my room.

IMG_0519.JPG

I’m not completely done with the tank. Still need to paint the background black and get some taller plants to fill it out a little bit!

New Threads