Help! Bought A Deformed Goldfish!!!

1. Kylo MeekThos Member Member

Went to my LFS today and my Girlfriend & I picked out a Small Size Black Moor for $6.00 It looks healthy and so did the other moors in the tank but while at home acclimating our new goldfish i noticed it only had one tail when i thought black Moor Goldfish are supposed to have a split/two tails. Is the single tail deformity common and will it cause health/swim problems??? I know just from doing research on how to keep goldfish that the small ones in stores are not of top quality and the fish was cheap but should i return it??? i have a good relationship with my LFS so i know they'd take it back, but im also wondering if i should consider the whole "You Get What You Pay For" Argument. any advice or input is much appreciated thanks!

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

No, it's not a deformity, more like genetics. In the goldfish world, the single tails are called nymphs or in this case, black nymphs (the term is used on the goldfish that are "supposed" to have double tails, but end up having single ones. Depending on who you talk to, the nymph could either decrease or increase the value) They tend to be culls from breeders because not too many people are a fan of the single tail over the double tails; but in reality, they are actaully a bit more common than their double tailed partners; just not commonly sold.

Your goldfish will be like any other goldfish, and isn't impacted in any way; completely healthy. Just give him lots of love :)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Kylo MeekThos Member Member

Thank You So much K.K!!! Nice to know he's healthy. it's our first goldfish and the lil guy already kinda grew on me. My last question is: Will he able to swim normally when he gets Bigger since he only has the one tail? And is he gonna behave more like a single tail variety goldfish???

*Also I should note that his Tail seems fairly inline with his body and not noticeably off to the left or right. And there is small "nub" or "bump" where the other tail should have grown.

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

He should be able to swim fine; fish are quite adaptable; he's been swimming around like that his whole life, he knows how to be mobile :). He won't be as fast as a comet goldfish, for example, because the moors just have broader tails, but he won't be that much (if any slower) than a regular moor

Plus his tail will grow with him; so it'll "balance" (for the lack of a better term) him out.