Help! Bloody Fins or possibly fin rot?

caycay365

I have been monitoring my bettas tail the last week because I noticed since I got back from a weekend trip his tail looks different. When I got back from work today it looked a lot worse! I don’t know what it is, Is this fun rot or something else? He is in a 20gal tank with a filter and heater, love plants, a nitrate snail and a Cory catfish (they have been together for 3 months now). I change 40% of the water every 20-30 days and Ph and Nitrate levels are normal. I don’t know what to do! He is acting fine and swimming normally but looks like something is definitely wrong with his fins!

Attachments

• 3F0B81B1-619A-491A-991A-D39492FC371E.jpeg
    3F0B81B1-619A-491A-991A-D39492FC371E.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 17

AquaticQueen

Usually, when a betta (or any other fish for that matter) has fin rot, the affected areas of the fins become black or white, depending on the fish's coloring. Honestly, it looks like his fins may have got caught in the filter intake and were shredded. Nipping is a possibility as well, but in my experience, corys are a pretty tame fish and don't usually nip. Either way, I would increase the water changes to 25% biweekly until his fins heal up.
Also, if you can, try to get some more corys for your little ground-dweller guy there. They are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 5-6 at the minimum.
Hope this helped!

Upvote 0

caycay365

Usually, when a betta (or any other fish for that matter) has fin rot, the affected areas of the fins become black or white, depending on the fish's coloring. Honestly, it looks like his fins may have got caught in the filter intake and were shredded. Nipping is a possibility as well, but in my experience, corys are a pretty tame fish and don't usually nip. Either way, I would increase the water changes to 25% biweekly until his fins heal up.
Also, if you can, try to get some more corys for your little ground-dweller guy there. They are schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 5-6 at the minimum.
Hope this helped!
Ok thank you so much! I’ll go to the fish store tomorrow and get a new filter (hopefully that will also help) and some new friends for Deborah!

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

Ok thank you so much! I’ll go to the fish store tomorrow and get a new filter (hopefully that will also help) and some new friends for Deborah!
You don't need to get a new filter. Just put a piece of sponge over the intake. Saves time and money ;)
Also, make sure the corys are the same type as the one you already have.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Hobbyist
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hobbyist
  • Question
Replies