Help! Blood Parrot Mouth Growth?

hayleechayka

Please help!

My tank is a 45 gallon stocked with 2 blood parrot cichlids, 4 tiger barbs, and one young pleco. It is just over a month old and unfortunately was not properly cycled upon adding fish (please don't judge I have learned a lot in the last month).

About two weeks ago I noticed my Blood Parrot Cichlid's lips were white and swollen and immediately began researching possible causes. Within a day I noticed it turned more into a white growth on the top inside of the mouth. I went to my local pet store but the lady didn't seem very knowledgeable and gave me Melafix to try. I was also using aquarium salt at this time as well as I could not determine if it was bacterial or fungal, however, now that it has been two weeks and all my other fish are perfectly fine I think I can rule out columnairs (a bacterial infection). The Melafix seemed to show no improvement and as for the aquarium salt, I was only adding a concentration of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons in fear of harming my tiger barbs who are less tolerable (so I don't know if that's strong enough to kill any fungus). Over the weekend my local pet store was closed so in desperation I went to Walmart and purchased the "Tetra Life Gaurd All In One Treatment" which I started yesterday. Does anyone have answers on what the growth possibly is and how to treat it? My fish is still eating but I'm worried I'm running out of time to save it as it now no longer showing its usual behavior of hiding in its caves and instead, stays in the corner of the tank rapidly moving its fins. Prior to this week, I was struggling with higher nitrite and nitrate levels in my tank which is probably what resulted in the illness. I unfortunately only have the easy test strips which I know aren't the best but here are my readings:

Nitrate: between 0-10ppm
Nitrite: between 0.5-1ppm
pH: 7.8
Temperature: 77-79 Fahrenheit (Normally kept between 81-82 but I had turned it down after reading it may help to slow the growth of bacteria)
You must be registered to see images

richiep

Croeso welcome to fishlore
I'm hoping someone with more experience will jump in but as as starter I'm wondering if it's Lymphocystis
There's was another member a few weeks ago with a parrot fish but the lips were white and swollen and this was one of the possibilities

hayleechayka

Croeso welcome to fishlore
I'm hoping someone with more experience will jump in but as as starter I'm wondering if it's Lymphocystis
There's was another member a few weeks ago with a parrot fish but the lips were white and swollen and this was one of the possibilities
Thanks for the response, I will definitely look into this further.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joshua G
Replies
Views
CichlidGuy21
Replies
Views
americanninja
Replies
Views