Help!! Black Stuff Appearing On My Live Plants

Dennis57

Member
HI all, this morning around 7:30am. I checked my tank and noticed black stuff on my plants. When I got home 8 hours later it spread to most plants and my water wisteria looks like its turning brown.
Here's what I have-- 55 gallon with a Fluval Plant Spectrum LED light that's been working for about a year. I have Eco-Complete substrate for about a year. I started using Seachem root tabs about 1" away from my plants (1 per plant) and Nilocg Thrive + 2 times a week for the last 2 weeks.
My Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrate-5, PH-6.7 (usually around 5 - 5.5 out of tap) I do 50-60% water changes every Saturday, on Sunday I add 5 pumps of Thrive, on Wednesday I add 5 more pumps, and 3 times a week I use Excel.
MY LFS (who I been using for years) sold me Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer, I use 1tsp each right after the water change 9Mix it with water before I add it back to tank.
Any one know what I can do? I,am lost. P.S. I tried to wipe it off with my fingers and a toothbrush, no luck. I do not use co@, iron or potassium. Thanks for any ones help on this
 

bizaliz3

Member
Looks like it could be diatom algae. Can you gently rub it off with your fingers?

EDIT NEVER MIND, I see you mentioned that at the end of your post. I missed that sorry.
 

Wraithen

Member
You have green spot algae in addition to the darker stuff. That's usually a phosphate deficiency, which your plants are showing.

The darker stuff is black beard algae which is a symptom of too much or not enough almost everything. You're also showing nitrogen deficiency.

Up your ferts. Should be all you need.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dennis57

Member
Wraithen said:
You have green spot algae in addition to the darker stuff. That's usually a phosphate deficiency, which your plants are showing.

The darker stuff is black beard algae which is a symptom of too much or not enough almost everything. You're also showing nitrogen deficiency.

Up your ferts. Should be all you need.
Should I add more then 5 pumps of Thrive? More then twice a week? As far as iron and Potassium phosphate, should I add that? Any idea how much for a 55 gallon tank that has about 2 dozen plants. Thanks
 

Wraithen

Member
Dennis57 said:
Should I add more then 5 pumps of Thrive? More then twice a week? As far as iron and Potassium phosphate, should I add that? Any idea how much for a 55 gallon tank that has about 2 dozen plants. Thanks
I would just dose more frequently. 3 times a week instead of 2. Thrive should have plenty of NPK in ratio so the extra dosing should help. I would definitely be dosing iron. Dose it on days you aren't dosing the thrive, or at least offset by 6 hours minimum.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dennis57

Member
Wraithen said:
I would just dose more frequently. 3 times a week instead of 2. Thrive should have plenty of NPK in ratio so the extra dosing should help. I would definitely be dosing iron. Dose it on days you aren't dosing the thrive, or at least offset by 6 hours minimum.
Thanks for your advise, I will give it a try
 

-Mak-

Member
You also seem to have magnesium deficiency. A lot of the time liquid fertilizers including all in ones don't have a lot of magnesium or calcium, I'm assuming it's because they ride on the assumption that you already have some in your tap.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom