Help Betta with chronic fin rot

Emily34

My Betta has been dealing with fin rot for a long time now and I’ve tried everything and is not getting better it’s so bad he’s lost about 3/4 of his fins and his entire lower Fin and just mops around and barely swims. I don’t want him to suffer and considering just killing him so he doesn’t suffer. Any thoughts?

IMG_6369.JPG

Sen

What have you done so far to treat the fin rot? Have you been doing water changes? Is your tank cycled? Your profile indicates that you put "no" to the question of if you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle. That's probably a good place to start reading, to get an idea of how water affects your fish: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

After you've gotten a good grasp of the nitrogen cycle and start water changes if necessary, then maybe ask about medications to treat the fin rot.

I've read some stories where people have brought bettas back from severe fin rot, and I personally could never euthanize a fish myself, so I say try and see if you can treat the fin rot. That said, ultimately it's your decision as the pet owner.

KaitlynR

You'll have to answer all of Sen's questions for us to help.

To summarize:
  • Tell us about your tank. Is it cycled? What are the latest parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? What is in the tank (substrate type, plants, decor, other aquatic life, etc.)?
  • How often are you doing water changes? What percentage?
  • How have you been treating fin rot so far?

toolman

Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions. If you give us some more information we'll be glad to help. Fin rot can be cured by frequent water changes in less severe cases, and severe fin rot can be healed also if the cause of poor water quality is removed.

Emily34

Ever since I first got him I’ve been doing about a 30% water change every week I got my water tested and it all checked out. My Betta lives in a 5 gallon tank with a filter and heater I always clean throughly and a few weeks ago I noticed the Fin rot so I went to the store and got melafix I did all the instructions on the bottle and after a week he was still getting worse so I continued treatment and still nothing I’ve been doing water changes twice a week and he’s still getting worse and has lost entire fins and is super flaky in his head he just stops swimming then when the filter moves him for a while he swims back to the same position and does it over and over again all day. I feel like he’s still happy though, he still visits me when I come to his tank and greets me at the front but I feel like he’s suffering. I don’t feel like he’s gonna recover

Sen

Ever since I first got him I’ve been doing about a 30% water change every week I got my water tested and it all checked out.

Do you know the current parameters of your tank water? When was the last time you tested the water?

If we have the actual measurements, we can give you some more specific information on what to do next.

I noticed the Fin rot so I went to the store and got I did all the instructions on the bottle and after a week he was still getting worse so I continued treatment

That might be part of the problem. Melafix can be dangerous to bettas in some cases: Update Regarding Labyrinth Fish and Melafix

I feel like he’s still happy though, he still visits me when I come to his tank and greets me at the front but I feel like he’s suffering.

How are his eating habits?

Emily34

I went to the store and the lady told me to get melafix he still eats, he’s always hungry and loves to eat when I feed him he seems happy I don’t know my perimeters I’m probably gonna buy a kit this weekend or if I have to get a new fish but I feel bad because he’s such a good fish he always greets me and is always happy and he still ties to be but can barely swim

Sen

If he's eating readily and still tries to swim, I think there's a decent chance you can save him.

Definitely check your parameters, and maaaaybe stop dosing melafix for the time being and see if he recovers a bit. In the meantime, do more frequent and maybe larger water changes. If my facts are correct, clean water helps out a lot when it comes to treating rot.

There are a lot of other more readily-suggested medications that can be used for fin rot, but different owners have had different experiences with treatment:
- Help - How do I treat fin rot on a betta?
- Fin Rot Has Hit Us Hard
- what is the best fin rot treatment?

If you decide to try other meds, be very, very careful with the dosage as some medications are very strong and can hurt a fish if incorrectly dosed.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom