Help! Betta turning grey

BellaFriedrick

I got a new betta yesterday and put him in my divided 10g. The 10 has a sponge filter on each side, a heater, and im pretty sure it’s cycled. (0 ammonia and nitrite, 4 nitrate.) Ive had another betta living in the other side of the 10 for a few months now. (Without ammonia) Today I checked on the older one, Legend, and found he had turned grey and had cloudy eyes. He’s had something similar to this before, but smaller, I remember nothing got rid of it and it ended up going away on its own. It’s just patches of discoloration, not raised or on the body. The new betta, Leo, looks the same as when I got him. I couldn’t see any symptoms of anything when I got Leo, except heavy breathing since he was living in ammonia. Once he was in the tank I noticed two stringy clear strands on the base of the front of his dorsal fin. I freaked out but didn’t change anything, since he was acting content and not flashing, though he’d do a quick twitch every once in awhile. Now I see one of the fuzzies on Legend. This happened within an hour today. I did a 55% water change, and there have been tannins in the tank since yesterday. I added some para guard to the tank and put Legend in a para guard bath with some stress coat. What do I do? I can’t tell if Legend’s beginning to pinecone or not, since his shape is slightly wider and his scales slightly pointier. I’m nervous since I’ve dealt with dropsy once and failed. Help! There are pictures of Legend attached.
I got a new betta yesterday and put him in my divided 10g. The 10 has a sponge filter on each side, a heater, and im pretty sure it’s cycled. (0 ammonia and nitrite, 4 nitrate.) Ive had another betta living in the other side of the 10 for a few months now. (Without ammonia) Today I checked on the older one, Legend, and found he had turned grey and had cloudy eyes. He’s had something similar to this before, but smaller, I remember nothing got rid of it and it ended up going away on its own. It’s just patches of discoloration, not raised or on the body. The new betta, Leo, looks the same as when I got him. I couldn’t see any symptoms of anything when I got Leo, except heavy breathing since he was living in ammonia. Once he was in the tank I noticed two stringy clear strands on the base of the front of his dorsal fin. I freaked out but didn’t change anything, since he was acting content and not flashing, though he’d do a quick twitch every once in awhile. Now I see one of the fuzzies on Legend. This happened within an hour today. I did a 55% water change, and there have been tannins in the tank since yesterday. I added some para guard to the tank and put Legend in a para guard bath with some stress coat. What do I do? I can’t tell if Legend’s beginning to pinecone or not, since his shape is slightly wider and his scales slightly pointier. But that might just be me panicking about it everything. I’m nervous since I’ve dealt with dropsy once and failed. Help! There are pictures of Legend attached.
But that might just be me panicking about it everything. I’m nervous since I’ve dealt with dropsy once and failed. The fuzzies as far as I can see aren’t making them itch, and there aren’t many of them yet, so hopefully the para guard and tannins will fix those and the grey will heal itself since that’s what happened last time. The picture attached here is what he looked like last time he got grey.
The top view picture where he’s above a filter is form last time he turned grey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 11C3D8DD-C5F8-41D8-9143-032FB9FE5AFC.jpeg
    11C3D8DD-C5F8-41D8-9143-032FB9FE5AFC.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 35

BigManAquatics

I don't see anything that looks like pineconing in these picks. As far as the grey, i. Really have no clue. Usually something i see on a fish after it dies. Makes me think possible fungal thing or color change? But it doesn't look fuzzy.

ValkyrieLips

The grey is likely just color loss imo. It looks like he's losing color in his fins as well. From my knowledge color loss is most commonly associated with stress. It could be he senses the other younger male in the tank and is stressed by his presence and scent.

BellaFriedrick

The grey is likely just color loss imo. It looks like he's losing color in his fins as well. From my knowledge color loss is most commonly associated with stress. It could be he senses the other younger male in the tank and is stressed by his presence and scent.
I think the same thing. He’s actually been gradually getting his color back, his bottom half is back to normal and all his fungus is gone. The other betta is still twitching but they both look healthier.
I don't see anything that looks like pineconing in these picks. As far as the grey, i. Really have no clue. Usually something i see on a fish after it dies. Makes me think possible fungal thing or color change? But it doesn't look fuzzy.
I’ve been looking at him much more since this, definitely no pineconing. The fungus that was on both of them has died down, almost gone on Leo and gone on Legend. Legend’s still grey but is gradually getting his color back. He’s now only grey on the top half of his body, and he’s begun bubble nesting again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BellaFriedrick
  • Question
Replies
Views
BellaFriedrick
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics