Help! Betta Treated For Fin Rot Is Very Lethargic

AtlasApollo98

Hello,

My betta who I have been treating for fin rot Has just come out of the treatment and is now incredibly lethargic. He has half of an10 gallon tank normally (I have another betta on the other side of the divider) but has not been getting off of the gravel. I moved him to a makeshift hospital tank tonight due to him seeming to be on his last leg. He is hanging out on the bottom with his nose pointed up and very shallow breathing. I have attached pictures and am really worried about him. He’s such a sweetie and prior to moving to the hospital tank he was trying to swim but couldn’t, there was no tail movement. Please help, I don’t know what to do for him and I’m unsure of if I should just switch to end of life care. He isn’t eating either.

Attachments

• 250517A6-FCEA-4B65-96FE-C4D7433B2AEE.jpeg
    250517A6-FCEA-4B65-96FE-C4D7433B2AEE.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 76
  • B9F545C0-46A2-4E6C-A1A4-5F158C88625B.jpeg
    B9F545C0-46A2-4E6C-A1A4-5F158C88625B.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 79

Sophari

What temperature are you keeping the water at? Between 79-82F is ideal and outside of this range can cause stress and lethargy.

Has the finrot treatment worked? Can’t really tell from the pictures, but it looks as if it is still there.

Personally I would switch your approach to just end of life care, it seems like it would be hard to bring him back given how much he has deteriorated

AtlasApollo98

What temperature are you keeping the water at? Between 79-82F is ideal and outside of this range can cause stress and lethargy.

Has the finrot treatment worked? Can’t really tell from the pictures, but it looks as if it is still there.

Personally I would switch your approach to just end of life care, it seems like it would be hard to bring him back given how much he has deteriorated

The main tank I keep him in is at 80. The finest treatment has not seemed to work like I had hoped. What exactly should I do for end of life care?

Sophari

The main tank I keep him in is at 80. The finest treatment has not seemed to work like I had hoped. What exactly should I do for end of life care?
Given his current state I’d say he probably only has a couple days left unless he somehow makes a recovery, which in my opinion seems highly unlikely, so you could just keep him comfortable and as happy as you can until he passes. Ensure there's plenty of places for him to sit on that aren’t jagged so as not to cause him any more harm. Also if you have a plant or ornament which he could hide in it would make him feel more comfortable and secure, reducing his stress and giving him the best chance of recovery. Try not to alter the tank too much though as this will stress him out unnecessarily.

Alternatively you could use clove oil as a form of humane euthanasia, which there are plenty of articles on how to do so safely.

Can I just ask how long have you had this fish?

AtlasApollo98

Given his current state I’d say he probably only has a couple days left unless he somehow makes a recovery, which in my opinion seems highly unlikely, so you could just keep him comfortable and as happy as you can until he passes. Ensure there's plenty of places for him to sit on that aren’t jagged so as not to cause him any more harm. Also if you have a plant or ornament which he could hide in it would make him feel more comfortable and secure, reducing his stress and giving him the best chance of recovery. Try not to alter the tank too much though as this will stress him out unnecessarily.

Alternatively you could use clove oil as a form of humane euthanasia, which there are plenty of articles on how to do so safely.

Can I just ask how long have you had this fish?

I’ve had him since last September. I bought him from a local pet store and they were treating his water for something but I’m not sure what. His water was blue when I got him. He has had a bought with being eaten alive by ghost shrimp that I were told he could eat, fin rot, ich, and now this. He has been lethargic for a while and I thought that maybe moving him from his old 3.5 gallon to the approximate 5 gallons he gets in the 10 that it might help him.

Sophari

I’ve had him since last September. I bought him from a local pet store and they were treating his water for something but I’m not sure what. His water was blue when I got him. He has had a bought with being eaten alive by ghost shrimp that I were told he could eat, fin rot, ich, and now this. He has been lethargic for a while and I thought that maybe moving him from his old 3.5 gallon to the approximate 5 gallons he gets in the 10 that it might help him.
What are the water parameters of the tank he’s usually in?

AtlasApollo98

What are the water parameters of the tank he’s usually in?

Ph is 6.7
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is usually around 30, sometimes it varies a little but usually no more than one or two places.
Ammonia is 0

Sophari

Ph is 6.7
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is usually around 30, sometimes it varies a little but usually no more than one or two places.
Ammonia is 0
Those parameters are ideal for a betta, so it is strange to see him acting up. You said he was like this when you purchased him?

Mcasella

Do you have a bubbler in the hospital tank? More gas exchange will help his breathing. Does it look like there is anything covering his lower half?

AtlasApollo98

Those parameters are ideal for a betta, so it is strange to see him acting up. You said he was like this when you purchased him?

When I purchased him he was really active, after the ghost shrimp ate the majority of his tail he became much less active even after it had healed. Then he somehow contracted ich and hasn’t ever been the same. I just looked at him now and he’s laying on his side on the bottom of his tank. His scales are looking a bit “pine coned” so I’m thinking it may be dropsy. Currently what I am most worried about now that I’ve started his end of life care is the other betta that was in the tank. How should I make sure he doesn’t get sick?

Do you have a bubbler in the hospital tank? More gas exchange will help his breathing. Does it look like there is anything covering his lower half?

There is nothing covering him or holding him down. He has been trying to swim but can’t seem to get off of his side. He is also refusing food. There is no bubbler in the hospital tank, unfortunately my local pet store doesn’t have any in stock.

Mcasella

There is nothing covering him or holding him down. He has been trying to swim but can’t seem to get off of his side. He is also refusing food. There is no bubbler in the hospital tank, unfortunately my local pet store doesn’t have any in stock.
The covering part I mean like a fungus or discoloration along that part of his body (not something like decoration over him).
I would make the water fairly shallow so he can get to the surface and breathe easier, with him being unable to fully swim it will make it easier on him if he is not having to swim to get a breath of air.
Try and keep him as comfortable as possible, most betta do not recover after their back ends stop functioning.

AtlasApollo98

The covering part I mean like a fungus or discoloration along that part of his body (not something like decoration over him).
I would make the water fairly shallow so he can get to the surface and breathe easier, with him being unable to fully swim it will make it easier on him if he is not having to swim to get a breath of air.
Try and keep him as comfortable as possible, most betta do not recover after their back ends stop functioning.

I haven’t seen any fungus, he is becoming discolored however and I fear I’m in the end with him now. He’s been transported recently and I think that may have had a lot to do with it. Too much stress and with an already weakened immune system I fear he may have never stood a chance.

AtlasApollo98

BETTA UPDATE:

Unfortunately after all the babying I can do the fish has since passed. I heard some commotion in the tank last night, having put him in the net so he was closer to the top of the water (might have been a bad idea, I don’t know). Due to the net being in the tank I was unable to secure the lid and shortly after I heard him spaz out I guess and actually manage to move the lid and net. I think that may have been his last little bit of energy before he gave up and passed somewhere around probably 2 am this morning.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rachaeljuno
Replies
Views
FishSupreme
Replies
Views
kaitlynsc
Replies
Views