Help ! Betta swims erratically and fins are disintegrating

Nadiayg

I used to have plastic plants in my Bettas tank but when cleaning the tank, I noticed that his fins were tearing. I removed the plants thinking that they were tearing his fins due to their ‘sharp’ edges. Since that day, every time my Betta sees me, he gets skittish & starts swimming around erratically, nose diving into the small stones on the ground (presumably to hide) & banging himself into the glass. He used to come up to the surface at feed time but now he just tries to hide. I still put the food in but he waits for me to leave & then eats. His fins are also increasingly deteriorating & disintegrating.

Attachments

• DAE7C8EE-3336-4D6E-B0B3-E34B9AFAA9E2.jpeg
    DAE7C8EE-3336-4D6E-B0B3-E34B9AFAA9E2.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 2
  • FDBA217B-E1FD-42C1-8877-8C03DF61A12F.jpeg
    FDBA217B-E1FD-42C1-8877-8C03DF61A12F.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 2

Barrk2

I used to have plastic plants in my Bettas tank but when cleaning the tank, I noticed that his fins were tearing. I removed the plants thinking that they were tearing his fins due to their ‘sharp’ edges. Since that day, every time my Betta sees me, he gets skittish & starts swimming around erratically, nose diving into the small stones on the ground (presumably to hide) & banging himself into the glass. He used to come up to the surface at feed time but now he just tries to hide. I still put the food in but he waits for me to leave & then eats. His fins are also increasingly deteriorating & disintegrating.
Hey there! Can we get some more info on your tank? Size, temp, filter, water parameters, water change schedule? Jagged fins like that to me say you probably have some fin rot, which can often be a water quality issue. You can try lots of things to “fix” fin rot (bettafix, tea tree, etc etc) but often the root cause is water and until you fix that it won’t get better.

ammonia spikes can cause odd behavior, but I wonder if you scared him when you removed his plants, or changed his safe zones. Did you give him anything to hide in after you removed them? Silk plants are ok if you aren’t feeling up to live plants.

Also, if he seems scared of your hands you could try hand feeding high-quality foods or live foods to re-establish the positive association.,

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Carolann
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
JHR323