Help! Betta stole ADF bloodworm

Lkb0075
Hi Everyone!
Last night while feeding my ADF frozen bloodworms, my Betta swooped in and ate it! I let it defrost first but it was a big one! I usually give him a smaller piece once a week then fast him the next day.

Now this morning, it looks like it’s halfway stuck, hanging out of him. He’s swimming around normally and acting like his usual self. Posting photos if anyone can help.

Also, today is water change day. Is there anything I can add, should I fast him for a couple of days? He’s my first Betta, had him for about a 3 weeks now, posting photos if anyone can help.

Attachments

• 927DF3E7-10CD-47F8-9716-EB3004886ED3.jpeg
    927DF3E7-10CD-47F8-9716-EB3004886ED3.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 40
  • E5B2EC6D-B641-41C5-834C-56B17E2E66CC.jpeg
    E5B2EC6D-B641-41C5-834C-56B17E2E66CC.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 36

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
I would fast for a couple days, should take care of it. In the future, maybe try blocking the betta somehow so the ADF can get its worms

Advertisement
Debbie1986
is it in his gills?

if in gills, I'd carefully move the betta to a dishcloth that was wet & try removing it using tweezers. Just roll it around to see if it'd come loose. i wouldn't pull per se (bruising damage due to force on nearby tissue) but just see if it can be wiggled out.

I 'performed' tumor surgery a while back ( 2+ years ago?) on a betta's fin. I watched several videos about it. Fish Doctor is best imo. for how to handle the fish out of water. They will struggle and try to wiggle away. I used a wet cloth over most of the body only leaving that area exposed. Since fish are very fragile, it's a balance between how much distress they'll be in verses your odds of removal. Only you can decide if worth interfering.

if the object is logged and won't remove itself naturally ( fall off), you have to decide if care you can remove it or letting nature do it's thing is best. it's purely a judgement call.

if the food worm is logged and won't fall off, it'll rot and cause discomfort making the fish more susceptible to further illness which is the only reason i'd suggest trying tweezers. and of course sterilize everything first, wipe with clean cloth before it touches fish area and then sterilize after use. .

Please note: I only attached this video because I found it extremely informative on how to handle the betta out of water. No anesthetic is needed for what you will be doing as no pressure or force is needed. Just be gentle..

Lkb0075
I would fast for a couple days, should take care of it. In the future, maybe try blocking the betta somehow so the ADF can get its worms
Yes! Researching ways to block him. I’m thinking of getting one of those boxes that they use at the fish store. Usually I try to distract him but after the ADF gets his second bloodworm, my Betta comes charging in like a nosey labrador.
is it in his gills?

if in gills, I'd carefully move the betta to a dishcloth that was wet & try removing it using tweezers. Just roll it around to see if it'd come loose. i wouldn't pull per se (bruising damage due to force on nearby tissue) but just see if it can be wiggled out.

I 'performed' tumor surgery a while back ( 2+ years ago?) on a betta's fin. I watched several videos about it. Fish Doctor is best imo. for how to handle the fish out of water. They will struggle and try to wiggle away. I used a wet cloth over most of the body only leaving that area exposed. Since fish are very fragile, it's a balance between how much distress they'll be in verses your odds of removal. Only you can decide if worth interfering.

if the object is logged and won't remove itself naturally ( fall off), you have to decide if care you can remove it or letting nature do it's thing is best. it's purely a judgement call.

if the food worm is logged and won't fall off, it'll rot and cause discomfort making the fish more susceptible to further illness which is the only reason i'd suggest trying tweezers. and of course sterilize everything first, wipe with clean cloth before it touches fish area and then sterilize after use. .

Please note: I only attached this video because I found it extremely informative on how to handle the betta out of water. No anesthetic is needed for what you will be doing as no pressure or force is needed. Just be gentle..

I tried to get a better photo but it’s not from the gills. Thank you for this info, this is great to know if this ever happens!

Lucy
Hi welcome to FishLore
What a beautiful betta, Looks like it's just pooping to me.

What size is your tank? You found out why many of us recommend keeping adf's in a species only tank.
Piggy betta!

Lkb0075
Hi welcome to FishLore
What a beautiful betta, Looks like it's just pooping to me.

What size is your tank? You found out why many of us recommend keeping adf's in a species only tank.
Piggy betta!
Thank you, he’s been a great buddy!
You’re right, he was just pooping ha! I guess I just panicked bc it’s out now.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank. Saving up for a larger one and will go species only in the future. The feeding process is a pain for sure.

Blacksheep1
Yeah looks like he’s pooping from a large meal ! Do you have some large tongs to feed the blood worms to the frog ? I have zero doubt the betta will still try to eat them but target feeding may work if your sneaky about it :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
faywayway
  • Question
Replies
Views
cdwag29
  • Question
Replies
Views
BellaFriedrick