Important Help!! Betta side fins suddenly both clamped against his body!

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Please help if you can! My betta Ted was fine one minute, then I noticed he was only swimming with one of the little side fins. The other side fin seemed completely stuck to his body and looked reddish (though they usually have some red). I took him out in a net to have a closer look, it’s definitely totally stuck on the side. Photos attached.

Minutes after putting him backin the tank the other side clamped and he sank to the bottom where he is now panting and in obvious distress.

Help? I don’t know what happened! Nothing changed. He did just flare at Simon (divides tank mate), but they do that all the time. I recently added a small amount of aquarium salt to help with a filmy spot on his chin.

What can cause this immediate type of catastrophe? Please help! I don’t think he’s going to make it, but of course will do what I can if anything will help.

He is laying on the bottom gasping.

Edit: about 20 mins later he started trying to swim, using the right fin again...it’s the left one that is stuck and the other, normal side is not red. His right fin seems ok.

6DD62174-ABE2-4EC9-850C-CF67B73DD033.jpeg

OP
Mamastacia3

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bump...is there so where else I should be posting for more urgent issues? No one answered my last question either from three days ago about the film on his chin. Am I doing something wrong?

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,

I don't know how much help I can be, but is it possible that he injured himself on something in the tank?

Also, have you checked your ammonia levels lately?

All I can think of at the moment without more information is either some kind of septicemia, brought on by either an injury or contaminated fish food, or ammonia poisoning.

Do you have any ornaments or decor that he could have hurt him in some way?

OP
Mamastacia3

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there,

Thank you so much for responding! This is a fantastic site but sometimes not very responsive in urgent situations (my fault I’m sure from not knowing where/how to post in the correct spot).

I think you are right that it’s an injury, possibly sustained from getting his fin caught somewhere. Nothing in his tank has changed at all in terms of environment or decor. The day after the photo of the red clamped fin, he was swimming around as if nothing was the matter except...that fin was all tattered and just hanging in shreds. So awful.

I gave him a Betamax bath, added a little salt and tannins, lowered the water level so me can get to the top more easily, since it’s harder to swim with just one side fin. I also added a bit of Stress Guard for antiseptic.

He is eating normally and acting as usual though resting in his log for longer - understandable. Each morning I come out and half expect him to be dead...after all he’s had the equivalent injury of having his arm torn off!

The shreds of fin have fallen off and now he has a nub on his left side. I don’t see any obvious signs of other injury, ie to his body. I think I have to just wait and see. I’m keeping the water pristine and just trying to keep his environment super clean.

Thanks again, pls keep good thoughts for Mr. Ted, and if anyone has good stories of your betta bouncing back from something like this (can he regrow this fin?) I’d love to hear it.

Attached photos of what he looked like yesterday.

Thanks!
-Stacia

70FADB93-2318-444B-A049-EC08E7E17DFF.jpeg

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,

Mr. Ted is a sweet-looking little guy!!!

It sounds like you are doing the things that I would recommend. I am not too familiar with bettamax. I think it is an antibiotic, but I am not sure.

I highly recommend Stress Guard. It helps promote healing, and that, along with the tannins released from Indian almond leaves, are usually my winning combination.

I only ever use other medicines when it looks like healing is not taking place. I always go for the natural cure if I can.

I don't know if I have ever seen a betta lose that particular fin altogether. I am curious to see if the entire fin grows back.

Sorry that no one answered right away. I find that happens sometimes. If you have a betta question, you can post it under the Freshwater Fish, and then under the betta tab. You could also post under the Freshwater Fish and Disease tab, and copy and paste the template there to give readers information needed to help diagnose issues.

If you don't get a response, just go to the thread that you posted, and post another message, just like you did. Many times members are looking at the new posts, new threads, or unanswered threads. Just be persistent, and someone will help you!

Good luck, and prayers for Mr. Ted!

OP
Mamastacia3

Mamastacia3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you so so much!!

He IS a sweet guy, I rescued him from a bad pet store and when I got him he was white and had scraggly fins, very blah. He came back from that to be the robust, gorgeous rose gold beauty he is now.

Right now he seems really bloated so debating an Epsom salt bath but if he is bloated it’s probably from internal damage From whatever injured his fin and not constipation so will maybe hold off on that. I’ll try to get a few better pics to post.

Thank you again so much, it helps just knowing someone’s out there rooting for him too.

-Stacia

New Threads