HELP! Betta sick and hasn't eaten in a week! PLEASE HELP!

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI Friends,
I need help! I am not sure if I am doing more help than harm but I know my little betta is not eating.. He got really bloated and constipated for a few days and became really lethargic. We only had him for 2 weeks and he went from swimming laps all day to hiding or hanging out. I did some reading and noticed he could be constipated from the freeze-dried bloodworms and flakes he was eating. So I started the fast for 2-3 days and even tried to get him to eat a pea but he still wouldn't eat. Next step, I treated him with a small epsom salt bath (1/2 tsp in galloon and left in if for 5 minutes then slowly adjusted the water content back to clean until it was all clearn and not salt). We was fine and went back into tank and later that day had a really good poop! YAY!. It stuck a bit but finally fell off. However, he was still not eating and not swimming and must have been spooked as he started to hide more. I should say, all water levels have been and continue to be fine. When I put him back in tank, I had done a 50% change. That was day 3.
On day 4, still not eating, bloat gone down, but still hiding and swimming a bit off, floating upside-down a bit. Then he pooped again and it was white and stringy. After some reading it seemed it could be from the constipation or stress but wasn't sure. I did add some dissolved aquarium salt to tank as I forgot to do it with 50% change. I also went out and bought bettafix to have, Furan-2 at suggestion of the pet store guy and ordered live Daphnia to see if he would eat that.
Day 5, still not eating and hiding all the same. I tried the daphnia - nothing.
Day 6, same as above but the daphnia seemed to have cleaned any debris the few pieces of debris that were the ground, didn't know they were good for that. I noticed some red dots on ends of fins, so in case was fin rot or bacterial related, tried the first dose of Furan-2.
Day 7, I added second dose of Furan-2. He seems worse if anything. Coming out not hiding, but not moving fins or gills nearly at all. He is perched between a plant near top of tank. Tomorrow I am to do a 25% change in tank due to Furan and am worried he is stressed already and that will do worse. He also still is having white stringy poops that are stuck to him.
I don't know what I need to do to keep him from dying in the next few days... If he isn't eating and looks skinny, a bit grey and curved now, what should I do? I should mention I tried pellets and also fluval bug bites but he wants nothing to do with me. HELP:(

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you tell us the temperature, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and tank size? Some pictures would be nice too. It almost sounds like he could have dropsy based on how it all sounds but pictures are needed to confirm.

White stringy poo could also be internal parasites, in which case something like prazipro would be useful. Unfortunately you may be too late to help him now, he sounds pretty far gone already :(

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi. It sounds like you've done everything right, and I applaud you for that. Unfortunately I don't think he's going to make it. The fact that he hasn't eaten in so long, and that he won't even touch live foods is a bad sign. The physical description of him sounds like his body is starting to shut down. There's always the possibility that he could turn around and recover, but be prepared for the fact that he probably isn't going to make it. I'm very sorry. In the meantime, continue providing him supportive care.

Please don't feel guilty, you were extremely proactive and worked very hard to help him. Fish can go downhill so quickly, and it can be nearly impossible to diagnose what's wrong. It could have been internal parasites, an intestinal blockage that caused internal damage, the fact that Bettas are not very genetically healthy, or something else entirely. Giving us the info Demeter asked for may be able to help us pinpoint any potential factors.

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
Can you tell us the temperature, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and tank size? Some pictures would be nice too. It almost sounds like he could have dropsy based on how it all sounds but pictures are needed to confirm.

White stringy poo could also be internal parasites, in which case something like prazipro would be useful. Unfortunately you may be too late to help him now, he sounds pretty far gone already :(
I know, I am worried that is the case. The water is at 80.5 right now. Tank is 3.5 but it is the BettaFlo soothe and the filter takes up so much space, it is probably only 2.5 galloons of swim space. I just spent a small fortune to upgrade his living quarters when he is better with a sponge filter and new set-up to use all the space.

Nitrate and Nitrite are both lowest level on the strips. Ammonia the same at 0. pH is 6.5 and KH 80. We have hard water (GH at 120) but I think this is good right?
He is blowing lots of bubbles right now, but not sure they are happy ones:(
betta plant.jpg

When I went to see him, he was still sitting perched in the plant since hours ago. He saw me and starting flapping a fast, just fins, not gills though. Is that normal? He has never flared at me actually but wonder if he was trying.. You can see in other pic he still has that white poop hanging. After I backed away, he just moved over slightly and rested at the top.

Attachments

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:

There is no pineconing though, isn't that the tell-tale sign? If you think Prazipro would be ok, I can go get today. He still has some fight in him I think:)

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He doesn't look near as bad as I thought he'd look. He doesn't look terribly thin for not eating in a week either so I think he has a chance. Try a parasite med and if he eats within a few days then he might just be alright.

Just keep an eye on his scales though, the beginning of dropsy is usually lethargic fish that turn pale and then develop the pine coned scales.

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
He doesn't look near as bad as I thought he'd look. He doesn't look terribly thin for not eating in a week either so I think he has a chance. Try a parasite med and if he eats within a few days then he might just be alright.

Just keep an eye on his scales though, the beginning of dropsy is usually lethargic fish that turn pale and then develop the pine coned scales.
Ok thanks! Yea he was quite swollen before, so I guess he just looks tiny to me in retrospect maybe

I will buy the Prazipro and see. Thanks!

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok guys- he has gotten worse.. I was doing the water change to finish the second round of treatment and I noticed he seems to be missing scales or something on the sides of his face.. I am not sure if bacteria related, but he definitely has fin rot on top dorsal fin. He did try to squeeze himself between the a new hideout and glass and I saw that, so wondering if he hurt himself then? It is on both sides of his head so would mkae sense... Ugh it is never ending.. Does this look like anything else? It is just smooth white like he has no face there.. Also still has a stringy poo hanging - circled too. TIA!

Attachments

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:

HI Demeter

Trying to figure this fish out still.. Good news is he is swimming around a lot more, and interested in food but doesn't want to eat it from the top or live.. Is it possible he wants to eat it off the floor? I thought Bettas we not bottom feeders, but he seems to be doing better. He did follow a frozen bloodworm to the ground but I never saw him eat it.

I am also still concerned though on his bubbles. He is breathing a lot underwater(moving mouth more than usual) and coming to the top to blow bubbles but not in a nest formation, just wherever he is located at the time. Could there by an oxygen problem in my tank? Or my other fear, his lungs are having trouble and he keeps trying to breathe.

Any ideas on what to do here? All levels good: tank re-cycling, but all NI4, NiT3, ammonia are 0. pH is a weak 7 currently and KH 80, GH 120. Temp 78. On day 2 of Paraguard and stuff is coming off his in a good way.

Thanks for your help!

New Threads