Help!betta Might've Killed Rasbora!

FishyFishy101

So I have a 10 gallon tank cycled about a month ago with a filter and heater.About 2 weeks ago,I got 5 rasboras and put them in my tank.Unfortunately one died.So today went to my LFS and got 2 more rasboras and 1 betta(please don't lecture me on why bettas aren't supposed to have tankmates)I spent a good amount of time trying to pick a peaceful betta.I picked one and brought the rasboras and betta home.I acclimated them and added the rasboras.Then about an hour later,I added the betta.While I was floating the betta,it didn't flare or pay attention to the rasboras.I payed close attention to the betta and made sure it didn't bother or attack the rasboras.The betta ignored the rasboras and started exploring the tank.I checked back every hour and nothing really happened until about 5 hrs later...

I noticed only 5 rasboras and figured one of the rasboras was just hiding in one of the plants.But to no avail,I found it dead in the gravel.I disposed of the dead rasbora and quickly placed my betta in my other tank.

Could the betta have killed the rasbora???I mean the betta was peaceful and didn't even flare.I checked my water parameters and everything was fine.

andychrissytank

what kind of rasporas?
some can feel cramped in a 10 gallon and maybe they or the betta were vying for territory/dominance

tunafax

Sorry for your loss.
To be honest, I don't have a shred of doubt that the betta killed the rasbora.

But for the sake of running with it: was it the old rasbora or the new rasbora? Parameter shock is a thing, I guess.

What I think happened is that the rasbora probably touched the betta in some way, the betta killed it, and then calmly swam his own merry way. That's how betta murders happen if the other fish can't fight back.

FishyFishy101

FishyFishy101

Sorry for your loss.
To be honest, I don't have a shred of doubt that the betta killed the rasbora.

But for the sake of running with it: was it the old rasbora or the new rasbora? Parameter shock is a thing, I guess.

What I think happened is that the rasbora probably touched the betta in some way, the betta killed it, and then calmly swam his own merry way. That's how betta murders happen if the other fish can't fight back.
I couldn't really tell which one had died.I do know that when I added the rasboras in,one of them stayed near the bottom and didn't really school until a few hours later.

andychrissytank

My guess is either one of the newer rasboras tried to upset the pecking order and was dealt with or it was the betta who got annoyed with them. Most likely the betta is the culprit. Sorry for your loss :[

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oldsalt777
  • Question
Replies
Views
OutsideFoodBlob
Replies
Views
Buganjimo
Replies