Help Betta Labored Breathing At Bottom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AllySaturn, Apr 10, 2017.

1. AllySaturn

AllySaturn Valued Member Member

My betta lucky is in a 3 gallon filtered and heated peramiters unknown had to sanitize my hands heavily this morning due to health issues. He is just laying at the bottom breathing heavily (at least it looks that way to me) no signs of sickness unless the Red on his head (picture added) isn't normal. Been trying to feed and won't eat. Will get up occasionally to go to the top with no trouble but will fly back down. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I litterally put garlic dipped food right in front
    Of him and he won't eat

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Okay so I posted about my betta and no one is answering so let me just simple it down. He is sick what do I get him to make him feel better

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic.
    It's been less than an hour since your original post , be a little patient, sometimes it just means waiting a while until the right members that are able to help are online

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Hello!:) A few questions to help narrow down your problem:
    Is the red normal for him or not? Has it always been there?
    Do you dechlorinate?
    How long has the tank been set up for?
    What are your water parameters? This is probably the most important thing, you can get your water tested at PetSmart for free if you don't have a test kit.

5. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

It's been there since I got him

Yes and I add stability and started up with TSS

It was an emergency set up so not long

I have a kit but can't be putting my hands in the tank ATM

6. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Is this tank cycled? Exactly how long has it been setup? Any other tank mates? Is his stomach bloated at all? Are his gills red? It's hard to tell with the pictures if the red head is normal coloring or not.

I would start with a water change. I will be honest with you though, without knowing the parameters it's really difficult to diagnose and treat. Also he may not survive since he is refusing food and laying on his side.

7. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

I know he may not but I'm gonna try.... he actually looks healthy, no shredded fins no bloat. It's his actions that scare me

8. clk89

It's fine to try, just trying to be honest with you. The no bloat and shredded fins are good, it narrows it down a little bit. Can he swim at all?

9. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Yes he can and will to get air. I'm gonna put a small air stone in to see if that helps

10. clk89

Has his poop been normal when he was eating?

11. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

So you cant touch the aquarium? You cant do anything then. A water change would discard bad water quality.
    Altough to be really honest you seem to be really worried about your fish, to the point that sometimes it sounds paranoic. While fish are living beings and we need to do the best for them stressing out over a fish is not healthy.
    Isnt the fish just resting? It is not uncommon to see my corydoras resting at leafs. I just give them their space and let them be, no dead corydoras yet.

12. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Yes/ no it wasn't stringy but it was a yellow/ whiteish colour. When I got him I originally put him in a split tank with another boy. The original was not happy so he went into the cup and he had quite a bit of poop in 24 hours

Now after writing that I'm concerned

13. BeanFish

Maybe they are internal parasites. You can treat with metronidazole. 250 mgs per 10 gal of water or 40 grams per kilogram of food. Crush the pill and disolve it in dechlorinated water, add some lemon juice to help the metronidazole disolve better.
    Altough to be honest I would give some time to the betta before you go the medication route.

14. clk89

Just for clarity sake, so is he swimming around normally then resting on the ground or is he staying on the ground for hours and hours at a time without swimming around?
    For parasites I personally like prazipro, since it's pretty gentle.

15. BeanFish

Prazipro is also an option. But if you dont find it you can just get metronidazole, I dont know how everything works in the US but you can get metronidazole without a recipe in Mexico and for a very good price (2 bucks) way cheaper than any comercial medication. For a little peace of mind, you have to overdose 8 times to kill the fish with metronidazole.
    Anyways, up to the OP, guessing by the available information and past threads I just think the fish is resting altough the more I think it the more weird his resting position look, so maybe he is indeed sick.

16. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

Hours. He has been there for the last 3 hours... last night he was staring at a corner at the top or laying at the bottom. Yes I'm a bit parrinoid I know... I just want them to have the best life and it would suck to have their life end with me. I can change water I have a squeeze vacum and a bucket. For added info I have a thing that I tried to use to feed him and he won't move when it comes near. Just lays there or snakes to the side

17. BeanFish

Then try doing a water change it should help, also, stop feeding him, fast him a little bit, you dont want to have food rotting in there.
    I am not saying the fish will die but sometimes they are not made for life, specially in those horrible conditions they live at petstores.

18. clk89

I think Metronidazole is easy to find online like prazi pro but it's more then $2.00 here in the U.S :)

19. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

He might be at the verge of death. He probably will die within a week or two if you don't treat it.. and you cant treat something you dont know. Get a liquid test kit its not that expensive..

20. BeanFish

Really? I get it from the drug store. I guess living in Mexico has its benefits lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice