Help- Betta Has Thin Spots/holes In Fins!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Mamastacia3, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Mamastacia3

Mamastacia3New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi all!

My formerly perfectly healthy betta Simon has developed a couple of issues. About four days ago he appeared to be biting his dorsal fin. It seemed to be stress related to seeing his own reflection in the glass. I fixed that and he seemed to stop.

Today I noticed 3-4 faded spots or holes - though they don’t go all the way through, on his lower fins (I will attach a photo).

Here’s his set-up:
    I’ve had him for 3 months, he has been the picture of health.
    10 gallon planted (w gravel not soil) cycled Marina tank with Marina slim15 filter.
    He is the only inhabitant of the tank other than some tiny volunteer snails the size of apple seeds who probably arrived with the plants.
    Water parameters:
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:5
    Ph: 7.4
    I feed him daily w two Hikari gold pellets in the am, 2-3 pellets in the pm. His tummy gets full easily so I try to not over feed him.
    20% water changes weekly

The only change to his environment was adding an aquarium light. He did not like it bc he could see his reflection w the light on and flared/attacked his mirror enemy. Right after that he bit his dorsal fin. I left the lights off for a couple of days and try to limit them. This seemed to help. Yesterday they were on all day bc I worked late.

Today I noticed these spots. He does not seem to be ill or even stressed. He’s his usually happy self, good appetite, swimming fine, no other apparent problems. But I’m worried about these spots/holes. Any ideas what it is and what I can do to help him? I generally go by the less is more approach bc I don’t want to make it worse.

Thank you!!! Appreciate it!

-Stacia

Attached Files:

2. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +72
    Experience:
    3 years
    What temp is your tank water?

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,024
    Experience:
    2 years
    They didn't look like holes to me either. It looks more like his bottom fin colors changing or transforming judging from the light color much lower on the same fin.

4. OP
    OP
    Mamastacia3

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi, water temp is 78 degrees, rarely changes by even a degree.

5. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +72
    Experience:
    3 years
    How is he doing now? Honestly I’d just keep the water clean and keep an eye on him.

6. OP
    OP
    Mamastacia3

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi there, he is doing much better - thank you! The spots are gone, they went away as quickly as they appeared - strange. Keeping his water super clean and applying the lighting cautiously. He seems to be more used to the lights now, fins even seem to be healing. Thanks for asking!!