Help. Betta Has Bump On Head And Possible Mouth Rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by moonplatypus, Apr 14, 2017.

1. moonplatypus

moonplatypus New Member Member

2. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

sorry the ornaments look so dirty i did clean them today and do a 30% water change. Also here he is when I first noticed the lump. 20170405_170414.jpg

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Can you tell us more about your set up? Tank size? Any tank mates? Do you have a filter and a heater?

What are your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

Have you tried treating it with anything?

I would guess it's a tumor of sorts (viral, etc.), but answering the questions above will help us rule out other issues, just to be sure.

4. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

Thank you for yout reply.

Tank size is 25L, no tank mates except assasain snail, heater and filter, pH is 7.5, temperature 28°c, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, I do water changes 30% weekly.

I have began treatment with Interpret anti-fungal medication. He has a white line above his mouth which I have read is a sign of mouth fungus and also has a hole on this white line. It is about the size of his eye pupil. Not sure how to measure something like that.

5. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

The line by his mouth looks almost exactly like this which is mouth fungus. Could this fungal infection have been caused by the lump on his head? Or vice versa?

It almost looks like his mouth is going to fall off. The hole is really bothering me.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

Today isnt much better if anyone could help that would be great! When I shine a torch through the side of his head there is a hole and around his mouth the skin looks a bit see through. Really worried.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry, I'm not sure what it is :( I'd be inclined to think bacterial with a secondary fungal infection, but that's just a guess.

@CindiL

8. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

The lump now has white dots on it. I am really worried about his mouth falling off is this possible? I cant stop checking up on him :( he swims up to see me and is still eating and just hanging out normally

20170416_003203.jpg

9. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I've seen this type of mouth infection before and you really need an actual antibiotic, are you in the US? Do you have access to any antibiotics? Or API products?

10. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

No I am in the UK. I am using Interptet anti-finrot and fungus at the moment . Will this not do?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  11. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

It almost looks like the melanomas that black platys get, but I'd be guessing it's probably something fungal, although it may be a melanoma. Can you get esha 2000? I'd probably give that a try as it's a broad spectrum treatment. I'm not really seeing mouth rot in the photo though, just a bit of white around his scales (mouth rot kinda eats the mouth away, usually the whole top lip will start to disappear quite quickly). I'm not familiar with the interpet meds, it may work, have you noticed any improvement since using it?

12. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

I will have to have a look online for esha 2000 as I havent seen it in any shops around here. He hasnt got any worse today, less white spots still eating and swimming up to the glass. He is resting more than normal. I am not sure if the medication is working but he isn't getting any worse. The hole by his mouth hasnt got any bigger and he doesnt seem to be in pain. I really hope he isnt.

13. CindiL

The interpet product is not an antibiotic it contains this:
    Active ingredients: Bronopol (522mg), Formaldehyde (900mg) and Benzalkonium Chloride (250mg)

The Esha 2000 contains these ingredients and is also not an antibiotic. The thread I'm thinking of her bettas mouth was being eaten away by a fast moving bacteria and the Esha did not help. It was also in that guys fins.
    Comp/ 1 ml: Ethacridine Lactate 6.3 mg, Copper sulphate 8.0 mg, Proflavine Hemisulphate 1 mg in water.

You can look up the ingredients in each.

She ended up ordering Tetra Fungus Guard on line through Amazon I think. It contains the antibiotic nitrofurazone. I would order it to have either way personally. He was totally cured of the bacteria and though his mouth never grew back totally he was able to eat and it did stop the infection.

14. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

Is Tetra Medica FungiStop the same thing ? That is the only thing I can order that will get here quick enough

15. CindiL

No, thats colloidil silver, not the same thing.

16. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

Okay I was just wondering as it is a similar name. He is resting a lot and not moving much now. I will go to the pet shop tomorrow and see if they have anything like that Tetra Fungus Guard. Thanks

17. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

Interesting, what do you think of Tetracycline or Metronidazole (antibiotics)? They're some of the ones I've tried before and haven't had much luck with, esha 2000 has been working better for me, even for severe mouth rot like you mentioned. I wonder if temperature affects how effective certain treatments are?? My fish are in cold water. I'm sure in effect, antibiotics *should* work better, but I don't seem to have much luck with them for some strange reason?

18. OP
    OP
    moonplatypus

I have now put 0.5 ml of Melafix in. I think he is getting better, still eating and the lump has flattened slightly. Nothing has gotten any worse. I cant get either esha 2000 or fungus guard. Not sure what to do now.

19. CindiL

The copper suphate is a good anti-fungal so maybe thats why it worked for you. As long as you don't have inverts and the esha 2000 works then I think its a good option.
    Yeah tetracycline has really very little use other than for some gram positive bacteria. Most fish diseases are gram negative. Metro is best for internal infections and parasites.

External or systemic infections my choices would be nitrofurazone, kanaplex or minocycline (maracyn 2)

20. CindiL

What can you get?
    There is kanaplex, Maracyn-2, any of the nitrofurazone medications. If you're in the UK you should be able to get Esha 2000.

Or, there is Hikari Betta Revive, can you find that?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice