Help - Betta Fish Tumor

akkushw
hI all :'( I am in desperate need of help to save my betta. He is likely about 3 years old (I rescued him about 2 years ago from negligent care). He lives in a 3 gallon heated, filtered tank with all normal, frequently checked params.
He has suffered from fin rot (which I have consistently tried to treat) which I assumed to be the cause of this abscess/growth at the top of his caudal fin. I recently noticed this growth appear within the past 2 weeks and his fin has precipitously fallen off since (at a much starker rate than normal fin rot - see before and after s attached). I have only been able to find one comparable online identified most likely as a tumor or viral growth. If anyone could provide any insight or help, it would mean the absolute world.

Attachments

• IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 99
Goldiemom
It appears to be severe tail rot to me.

akkushw
I had thought so initially as well but it hardly occurred over the span of 2 weeks while I was abroad and he was in a friend’s care. She was worried because the tank was becoming extremely dirty within the span of a day or 2 after cleaning and then one day his fin just completely fell off as a whole. I’ve been medicating, adding aquarium salt, and 100% water changing every 4-5 days. Nothing has changed beyond him now floating listlessly near the top of his tank. Is there anything else I can do?

Goldiemom
I had thought so initially as well but it hardly occurred over the span of 2 weeks while I was abroad and he was in a friend’s care. She was worried because the tank was becoming extremely dirty within the span of a day or 2 after cleaning and then one day his fin just completely fell off as a whole. I’ve been medicating, adding aquarium salt, and 100% water changing every 4-5 days. Nothing has changed beyond him now floating listlessly near the top of his tank. Is there anything else I can do?
You should change the water...50% every day for 10 days and see how it goes. If you took out 1/2 the water, put 1/2 the salt dosage back in.

akkushw
UPDATE: I am extremely worried. Been administering nearly daily water changes and replenishing salt. Added an Indian Almond Leaf. His fins had been worsening so I tried dosing Melafix while waiting for the Methelyne blue to be delivered to my apartment. Today, I heard a large jolt and found my little Kendrick had JUMPED out of his tank, flopping behind it on a ledge. I immediately rescued him and put him back in as gracefully as I could. I changed the water and lowered the level, added more salt and praying for him to recover. He seems very shaken and idle, breathing heavily. What can I do to help him recover? What’s going on? I’m in desperate need of help.

Repolie
Drape a blanket over the tank to keep it dark to make him feel less stressed. Bettas jump out the tank because something's wrong with it. Water parameters? Or maybe you added too much salt?

akkushw
I’ve been checking parameters daily, everything looks normal. The pH may be a little closer to 8, it’s hard to tell with the test strips. The salt could be a problem, I’ve been sure to add no more than a tablespoon and added more now to better facilitate breathing. Could adding the Melafix have stressed him?

Repolie
You should test using a liquid test kit because it's more accurate. Aquarium salt irritates the gills and scales to increase gill function and build a better slimecoat but that could also stress him out. Not sure about Melafix, but it's not recommended for bettas. I'd decrease the salt concentration and stop Melafix. But if you think those helping him and seeing improvement of some kind, I'd leave it in there and let time tell what happens next.

akkushw
Thank you so much. I've changed the water twice now, decreased salt concentration, and added some StressCoat to replenish his slime coat and some Nutrafin to also hopefully reduce his stress. He's doing a lot better, super eager to eat and swimming much more actively. When should I remove the drape?

akkushw
I am once more in need of urgent help - Kendrick was in steady recovery before I unfortunately had to leave again for about a week and a half (trusting him in the care of a friend). Upon returning, I found the minuscule, speckled lesion he has had since I can remember (ref. earlier pictures) has drastically evolved into some radically larger growth. Coupled with the other symptoms, I've begun treating him for Columnaris, on day 3 of Furan-2, waiting for the Kanaplex to ship in addition to aquarium salt, and Prime. Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what this could be and how I can best save my lil bb?

Attachments

• IMG_5028.jpg
    IMG_5028.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5038.jpg
    IMG_5038.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 61
Iverg1
He seems to have ammonia burns I would check your parameters calling all the betta people (sorry if I leave you out)ahem IHaveADogToo Gypsy13 Fanatic CanadianFishFan Rtessy emmysjj

IHaveADogToo
That looks like a fungus to me. I am so sorry this is happening. I don't know how to treat this.

Gypsy13
Question. Anything fuzzy or fluffy on this area?

Iverg1
Sorry gypsy there are two spots one at the end of the caudual fin that's looks white bumpy and tumor like possibly severe fin rot now body rot. And a second that looks like an tumor except it is black and looks more severe like tiny black bubbles instead of bulging out like a tumor regularly does it looks like it's rising out

akkushw
Thank you all so much for your help, it means the world.
The caudal fin does appear a little fuzzy, definitely resembling columnaris but has been slowly healing with the treatment. The dark growth, however, I wouldn't consider fuzzy...it's definitely raised or "bulging" as stated.

Iverg1
Sorry

Gypsy13
Ok. Woke hubby to look closely at pics. Going back to early July pics, doesn’t sound like columnaris. Sounds like a tumor of the caudal peduncle. Now it seems there’s another tumor forming above the dorsal fin. I’m not hearing any kind of infection. For me, keeping him comfortable as you can is about all you can do. Keep the water clean and 78-80 F. The IAL is fine. I think you should lighten up on the salt a bit. Don’t use melafix at all. If you want to keep treating with the furan2, go ahead. Prevent secondary infections from coming in. I’m sorry but I don’t see recovery here. Eating, swimming give love and attention. Hoping with everything I have that I’m wrong.

CanadianFishFan
I'm sorry I don't have much advice here but perhaps the fin rot is effecting the whole body since its so bad. Have you tried daily %75 water changes?

akkushw
Thank you all so much for the input. I recently completed the Furan-2 treatment and re-added filter media, changing water about 50% every other day while waiting on new meds. These water changes have been really stressing him and he's been very erratically startled so I've been hesitating about continuing. ParaGuard was just delivered and I plan to complete a 100% water change and add it (with prime water conditioner, stress coat, and a small amount of aquarium salt) tomorrow morning. The fin rot and blue growth have been rapidly worsening and I just really desperately wanted to check back in and see if there are absolutely any other thoughts on what this can be. The blue growth is expanding and really horrifying me, it's definitely an erosion of his skin, with a large crater now in the middle. I'm so afraid he's in pain. Please, please let me know if there is absolutely anything I can do to save him.

Attachments

• IMG_5117.jpg
    IMG_5117.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 60
akkushw
Now at full-fledged necrotization. What in the world can I do??

Attachments

• 267E8EAE-145C-41EE-895A-EA659E7D8B6A.jpeg
    267E8EAE-145C-41EE-895A-EA659E7D8B6A.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 63
  • BBD355B4-4079-4ACF-BE2C-BEEC4904AA70.jpeg
    BBD355B4-4079-4ACF-BE2C-BEEC4904AA70.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 57
Gypsy13
The kindest thing you can do for him is to let him go. If you can’t euthanize him, just keep him warm and comfortable as you can. If the water changes are too stressful, ease up on them. I’m so sorry. I know how hard it is to let go.

If you need help with euthanasia, Goldiemom is very good at talking you through it.

akkushw
A quick update: Kendrick’s journey has broken me. Half of his body has been eaten away and his tail is now gone. He is pineconing severely, just gasping at the surface for air and I presume his kidneys have failed. As you can see, more of these dark growths are emerging- I wish I had the most remote idea of what this infection is. I am calling for absolutely any and all last ditch efforts to save my baby and, if not, what in this world can I do to keep him as comfortable as possible (I do not have it in me to euthanize). I would appreciate anything at all, thank you all so much for your help and patience thus far- it looks like Kendrick’s journey has come to an end.

Attachments

• FF2E50DD-A5F1-4D7D-A6A2-AE5F6070A904.jpeg
    FF2E50DD-A5F1-4D7D-A6A2-AE5F6070A904.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 59
Gypsy13
You can add a little dissolved aquarium salt to the water to help him with breathing and easing some of the pain on his skin.
I’m so sorry. I wish there was a magic medication out there for this.

Goldiemom
So heartbreaking. I’m so sorry for you both.

akkushw
Thank you all for the kind words. He is unfortunately no longer with us

Gypsy13
Thank you all for the kind words. He is unfortunately no longer with us

I am so sorry. You did everything you could. Remember that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Emilykt13
Replies
Views
Carbeo
Replies
Views
thepianoguy
Top Bottom