Help! Betta Fish Fin Turns Red

Bettax

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a betta fish for about two Months now. When I bought him his fin was translucent looking and i put him in a temporary 0.8 gallon tank with no filter for 2 weeks but i have the heater on for him. I did 90% water change twice or once every week with water conditioner. And then i notice one day that his part of his fin starts to turn red...(i am attahing the image) is this a sign of fin rot?? Or is this something related to ammonia burn? now he is in a 2.5 gallon uncycled fish tank with filter and i am doing 50- 75% water change three times a week using water conditioner and quick start api to try to cycle the tank while closely monitoring the fish and water condition. The fish always looks energetic and eats normally. He is always excited when he sees me coming near the fish tank.
The water parameter is at 0.25 ammonia level and 0 nitrite. I am using an api water test kit. I thought by changing water 3 times a week with conditioner it will make the red spot go away on its own but its not.Please help!
Thank you!

Attachments

Bettax

Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
It could be a color change.
Hi thank you for the reply.
I was thinking about the same thing. But maybe i am just being paranoid... and I do not want my fish to get sick and die
Since the spot appeared at the time when I left the water unchanged for more than 3 days at the temporary tank. I worried that it might be some sort of diseases...

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas often change color when their living conditions improve. For example, I purchased a solid red betta living in a cup, but when a moved him to a 10G he developed Blue, white, and orange flecks. Your guy looks very healthy, though, and find won't really ever change color with fin rot

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm usually more disappointed when color doesn't improve with conditions. One of my girls is just... unattractive. I hoped when I bought her that the red dots on her fins (which were strangely uniform for a betta) would develop. Nope. They went away, and she has actually become less coloful :\

Maybe I should put her back in a cup? lol

Your fish is beautiful and healthy. You're doing just fine.

Bettax

Reaction score
Crafty Cichlid said:
I'm usually more disappointed when color doesn't improve with conditions. One of my girls is just... unattractive. I hoped when I bought her that the red dots on her fins (which were strangely uniform for a betta) would develop. Nope. They went away, and she has actually become less coloful :\

Maybe I should put her back in a cup? lol

Your fish is beautiful and healthy. You're doing just fine.

Lol.
I ll keep monitoring him but judging from his behavior i would probably need to just stop worry about him ... Thank you so much guys!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom