Help, Betta Fins Not Recovering?

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi , I need your help. This is the first time I am posting anything ..I have spent many hours and days searching the Internet, pet stores, you name it for answers but nobody seems to be helpful. I have 2 Betta Fish in a 10 gallon tank. They lived happily until about 3 weeks ago. I noticed their fins were tearing and breaking off, Plus the half moon “blue” was hiding and did not have much of an appetite anymore, so I replaced all artificial plants with live plants, inspected all decor for sharp edges, repurchased water treatments, conditioner, aquarium salt, and purchased API test kit..I have been constantly monitoring water conditions, heat etc and waited it out. This past week The “red”butterfly betta has been recovering beautifully ..his fins are growing fast and he is back to his happy self.
The blue betta is acting like his normal self again except that his fins are not recovering as well. I noticed they are growing at the bottom but NOT at the top !! Is there something I’m missing??
4034a73e6d9abfd0bcf07e33626c4751.jpg
20180425/78cff6c471561dfb010a4ade743f4bc5.jpg[/IMG]

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey,

Any signs of aggressions? A lot of fish act nice and peaceful when we look at them, but when we turn around stuff happen - could the red butterfly Betta be chasing the blue one (that consequently goes into hiding)? There’s not specific rule when it comes to what directions the fins grow - you’re doing the right thing though (with salt specifically). I would personally had API Stress Coat - when doubling the dosing (it’s recommended, so no worries), it truly helps fish feel less stressed out and it puts additional slime on their body - which is truly needed to growing back fins.

I also wanted to ask - have you seen them being caught in the filter or into a piece of decor? And for live plants that’s a great idea.

Also - it’s only been a week. So let’s wait and see

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey,

Any signs of aggressions? A lot of fish act nice and peaceful when we look at them, but when we turn around stuff happen - could the red butterfly Betta be chasing the blue one (that consequently goes into hiding)? There’s not specific rule when it comes to what directions the fins grow - you’re doing the right thing though (with salt specifically). I would personally had API Stress Coat - when doubling the dosing (it’s recommended, so no worries), it truly helps fish feel less stressed out and it puts additional slime on their body - which is truly needed to growing back fins.

I also wanted to ask - have you seen them being caught in the filter or into a piece of decor? And for live plants that’s a great idea.

I have added stress coat, they do not see each other at all because I have plants along both sides . I do not have a filter, but I do have an air pump.

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey,

Thank you so much, I can be patient I just wanted to be sure that I’m doing everything possible right now.

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So the air pump is not really necessary for Bettas (as they are surface breathers), and as beautiful as Bettas are, they also have their own little temperament... they might be stressed or just annoyed by these bubbles - usually prefer quiet water with no flow. I think you’re going the right way - live plants and light decor. I would just recommend not using decorations that have sharp edges. Other that this, again it’s only been a week, and it’s looking mostly positive.

Last thing that I’d recommend: doing bath salts rather than adding salt directly to the tank (with can harm in the long run some of your plants)

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So the air pump is not really necessary for Bettas (as they are surface breathers), and as beautiful as Bettas are, they also have their own little temperament... they might be stressed or just annoyed by these bubbles - usually prefer quiet water with no flow. I think you’re going the right way - live plants and light decor. I would just recommend not using decorations that have sharp edges. Other that this, again it’s only been a week, and it’s looking mostly positive.

Last thing that I’d recommend: doing bath salts rather than adding salt directly to the tank (with can harm in the long run some of your plants)
Yeah I have the bubbles because they love to play in them, lol. It’s really cute. I didn’t know about bath salts but I will definitely give that a try. Thank you so much.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I have the bubbles because they love to play in them, lol. It’s really cute. I didn’t know about bath salts but I will definitely give that a try. Thank you so much.
We are talking salt baths right? Please don’t use bath salts on fish.

skllkd

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes salt baths - not bath salts. It’s the “me after a long day of work and needing a bath to relax” talking haha. What I meant is giving this salt treatment (salt bath... not bath salts haha) in a separate tank (or bucket), not directly in your planted tank.

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lol... I would never add human bath salts... haha.
I was going to go ask petco tomorrow what exactly they were.
So when I do a water change I dissolve the salts before I add them?
I have a bucket that I dedicate solely to their tank water. I let the tap water sit for at least a day, the next day I add my water conditioner, stress coat and salt, wait an hour or so then remove my Betta and do my water change. I wait at least 30 min, test the water then put them back home. Is that the correct way ?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol... I would never add human bath salts... haha.
I was going to go ask petco tomorrow what exactly they were.
So when I do a water change I dissolve the salts before I add them?
I have a bucket that I dedicate solely to their tank water. I let the tap water sit for at least a day, the next day I add my water conditioner, stress coat and salt, wait an hour or so then remove my Betta and do my water change. I wait at least 30 min, test the water then put them back home. Is that the correct way ?
Are you replacing all the water?

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No so far I have replaced about 1/3 about every 2 week.
Actually more like 1/4 every 2 weeks, I have only been doing 1/3 for the past few times (since I noticed their fin damage and started testing the water with the API master kit.)

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually more like 1/4 every 2 weeks, I have only been doing 1/3 for the past few times (since I noticed their fin damage and started testing the water with the API master kit.)
Ok. I’m trying to remember how we took care of water changes w/o filters back in the day. I truly find the filter and heater to be much easier. But I’m thinking if you don’t have a filter you might want to do at least weekly water changes. Pristine water is the best thing we can do for our finned babies.
And the other one will be all fluffy again.

kelly.elisha

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok. I’m trying to remember how we took care of water changes w/o filters back in the day. I truly find the filter and heater to be much easier. But I’m thinking if you don’t have a filter you might want to do at least weekly water changes. Pristine water is the best thing we can do for our finned babies.
And the other one will be all fluffy again.
Done!! I will even invest in a filter . Thank you so much for your help.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome. And you’re most welcome. I just noticed we’re neighbors, kinda. You’ve got to get your rest too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom