Help, betta fin rot?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really hard to say. Looks mostly normal and it isn't unusual for bettas to change color over time. The transparent parts are of some concern, so keep a close eye on them. As the fish matures there could be more visual changes as well. Take a picture a day and see if you notice anything that stands out, or bigger changes after a week. Mostly just try to make sure the water is clean.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
The nitrite worry’s me, looks like your tank is almost cycled. The transparent parts are actually more likely signs of re-growth. Were those parts missing before?

OP
Newbie1234

Newbie1234

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FreshwaterHG said:
The nitrite worry’s me, looks like your tank is almost cycled. The transparent parts are actually more likely signs of re-growth. Were those parts missing before?
No not that I know he probably got fin rot from the store I bought him from

OP
Newbie1234

Newbie1234

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FreshwaterHG said:
No I am 90% certain that my tank was cycled because every thing was zero a week ago.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nitrate being 0 does not necessarily indicate an uncyled tank but nitrite being > 0 AND nitrate being 0 is suspicious. There are a lot of things that don't add up. You've had the fish for 4 months - if the tank was uncycled it should be hurting (though beta can breath air). However it is possible that you moved the fish or cleaned the filter or replaced all the water with tap water or any number of things. Then there is the question if any of this would correspond to when the fish started having issues. Lots of unknown making this nearly impossible to diagnose in a reasonable fashion.

btw - imho fin rot is not a stable condition - either it gets better or worse.

OP
Newbie1234

Newbie1234

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nitrite is not toxic till .75 as far as I know and the reason the nitrate is zero is because I have an extreme amount of plant growth

And before all the plant growth I had 30 ppm in nitrates

I will do a 30% water change right now though just in case

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of our plant experts indicated that it is unlikely extremely dense plants could reduce nitrate by more than a few ppm. That doesn't mean it isn't 0 and the plants don't help and it could very well be with a single fish the steady state increase is offset by the plants (a few ppm a day). But if it went from 30 to 0 in a couple of days without water change ... well the plants certainly wouldn't be the explanation.

Newbie1234 said:
And before all the plant growth I had 30 ppm in nitrates

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd be more concern about why the nitrite increase and would monitor it carefully to see if there is a steady increase in nitrite because that would indicate the tank cycle has been disrupted.

Newbie1234 said:
I will do a 30% water change right now though just in case

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Nitrite, just like ammonia, can have negative impacts on health in any amount above 0. That’s not to say “worry about it” but just do you know. Just do the water change and maybe overdose prime. I also agree with the plants. Even my heavily planted tanks still get 5-10ppm nitrate even after a water change, and I do 50% weekly. It may be going through a mini cycle, but I would say it’s likely not cycled. This may be due to over cleaning. Can you tell me how you clean your tank and how often you change the filter cartridge?

OP
Newbie1234

Newbie1234

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I do a 25% WC every week but haven't cleaned my cartridge all though I have changed from a HOB to a sponge filter but the old cartridge is touching the new one and it is also shoved in it and every day I dose wit quick start from API

Update:After the water change the nitrite has dropped to zero!

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Newbie1234 said:
Update:After the water change the nitrite has dropped to zero!
Awesome. I’m not totally sure what’s going on since you seem to be doing stuff right. The switch may have just sent you into a mini cycle. I would just keep an eye on it. The best thing for fin rot is water quality. You can also add aquarium salt or Indian almond leaves, but it looks like the tail has regrowrh already.

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with @The_fishy. Your fish doesn't have fin rot. The clear/whitish edging is the perfectly normal edging of his fins. Looks like other people are already helping you with the nitrite spike so I won't concern my self there.

OP
Newbie1234

Newbie1234

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank y'all so much me and my fish(Finley) can never thank anybody and everybody who participated enough. :) :):p

New Threads