Help betta fin rot??

Shaybaebae

Reaction score
So a friend just told me that my fish most probably has betta fin rot and I’m not too sure what to do I started removing snails that were in the tank and I’m slowly removing water can anyone please give me some advice

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The best treatment for finrot is very clean water. Salt also helps but only short term. With other fish I would recommend mellafix but I was told this is not good for bettas. When Arnold my betta had fin rot I did daily water changes of about 20 percent. For a few days I added 1.4 grams per litre of aquarium salt to the new water then I continued water changes without salt for another few days to reduce the salinity back to nothing. This stopped the rot and the fins began to recover.
Make sure the salt is fully dissolved in the water before adding to the tank
There are meds. out there for fin rot which may help but good water quality is by far the most important thing.

OP
Shaybaebae

Shaybaebae

Reaction score
Heron said:
The best treatment for finrot is very clean water. Salt also helps but only short term. With other fish I would recommend mellafix but I was told this is not good for bettas. When Arnold my betta had fin rot I did daily water changes of about 20 percent. For a few days I added 1.4 grams per litre of aquarium salt to the new water then I continued water changes without salt for another few days to reduce the salinity back to nothing. This stopped the rot and the fins began to recover.
Make sure the salt is fully dissolved in the water before adding to the tank
There are meds. out there for fin rot which may help but good water quality is by far the most important thing.
Thank you I quarantined him/ completely cleaned out his tank( I have a 10 gallon tank) I removed all of the accessories& plant -refilled his tank chucked all the accessories /hooked up his filter and the water heater. had three sticks to test the water( I used them all ) in order to lower the nitrates I put his plant back in and he's been floating up top for the past half-hour

Should I let him free

Honestly it took forever for anybody to even respond to my post so I Googled...

Attachments

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would reintroduce him into the tank in the same way you would if you'd just bought him from the shop.
It's best to change only part of the water frequently rather than all in one go. It stresses the fish to suddenly have a large change of water chemistry at once.
Just remove an amount of water ( 20-30. Percent ) each day and replace with new water without moving the fish. Try to match the temperature of the new water with the tank to reduce temperature shock. If you have a copper hot water tank don't use any hot water, just boil some cold tap water in the kettle and add it to a bucket of cold water until you get it similar to the tank.
Make sure you dechlorinate new water first.

OP
Shaybaebae

Shaybaebae

Reaction score
Hi heron just to give you an update... I let him into his tank and it was just pure disaster he went all the way to the bottom ( And this is after I did the whole water change) So of course I got him out of there put him in another bowl and floated him up top... stressful evening at my home last night

feeshi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey I see you do not know about the Nitrogen Cycle, its never really mentioned when we purchase fish unfortunately and this is probably the cause of his behaviour and fin condition.
It is basically the growth of good bacteria that eat up toxic waste created in water by the fish eating, pooping etc. It takes around a month to grow, and until then the fish can be harmed by these toxins.
You are currently in the process of a 'fish in cycle', and there are different ways to keep fish alive during this first month.
If you have access to a fish store, you can get seachem prime, its a dechlorinator but will also detoxify the toxic ammonia and nitrite in the aquarium for 24hours so your fish cannot absorb them. While its pricey, it will last as it will be a 1ml dosage in a small tank and It is a great peace of mind if you dont know whats going on and the fish is suffering.

Without prime you will likely have to do 50% water change every other day with dechlorinated water for about 3 weeks, then slowly change to just 50% a week.

Oh, I'd also fill his tank to about an inch from the top if you can, the more water the more diluted anything will be.

Sorry for the wall of text.. and I hope he feels better soon. :)

OP
Shaybaebae

Shaybaebae

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response my fish is in a smaller bowl since yesterday, I don’t know what to do, I just want him to survive...I have him in this other bowl and I put the heater in there I just can’t get him to get acclimated and start swimming

feeshi

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What is his behaviour like when you attempt to acclimate? does he just not move? does he sink? has he eaten anything?
If hes struggling move/ or sinking, or just staying still at the surface he may just be feeling ill. If he seems to struggle with swimming he may do better in a smaller bowl, as its not as deep allowing him to go up to surface for air and rest his fins. Just keep his water super clean, remove any uneaten food. This sterile environment gives him the best chance to heal on his own, externally and internally of any damage.

Just know you're doing everything you can do for him and that's great because its more than many people would do. Keep us updated on his progress.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom