Help Betta Fin Rot Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Keypantel, Apr 20, 2018.

1. KeypantelNew MemberMember

Ever since a week after getting my betta, I've had problems with the fins. Cuts all over the back fin, and even being treated with bettafix, never went away. Betta was fine this morning, but when I came home, this monstrosity of a fin rot. It looked as if it had already been growing for days, but this morning there was no sign of anything. The entire back fin is deteriorating, and fast. This fish keeping has been so painful because of these problems that appear out of nowhere.

Please help, I don't know what to even do. Pics are linked down below.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. RylanWell Known MemberMember

Hi! Are you certain that it's not tailbiting if there's no sharp/jagged decorations in the tank? That sounds too sudden to be fin rot. Either way, the best thing for both is normally just to keep the water warm and cleaner than usual :)

Sorry, I couldn't get the link to load, could you maybe attach them to your post directly?

3. trash.binh91Valued MemberMember

that's more like rips or tears, not fin rot

4. RylanWell Known MemberMember

Agree. There's a couple things you could do. Check your decorations for rough edges (anything that would snag a pair of nylons may snag your betta) Fin rot usually happens slowly. So if it appeared within the span of a few hours it's likely a tear.

I can't see the photos, but if it's isolated to his tail and there's no sharp objects in the tank, it's probably tailbiting which could happen for a few reasons. Some of them being related tank size, temperature, or just plain boredom. For my bettas that tail bite I just rearrange the tank once a week at water changes or swap decorations out entirely and that's usually enough to keep them occupied if tank size is not an issue.

You could also check to see if your light in/around the tank is causing him to see too much of his relflection.

I have a betta currently that can't have a tank background because he flips out and attacks his own tail.

If you just keep the water clean it should heal up on its own and won't turn into fin rot.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  5. KeypantelNew MemberMember

Thanks, why is the ends turning brown if it isn't fin rot?

6. RylanWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, had to get to a desktop computer to find your photos. That looks like very mild fin rot. It could also be bloody from being injured or bitten. It's possible it's the start of a fin rot infection. Still, changing the water more often should be enough to get him better. I think saw in another thread you have 3.5 gallon tank? Two water 50% changes a week should help. If not, perhaps what users in your other thread are offering for medicine suggestions will do some good. I've never needed to do more than more water changes though for mild fin rot/tailbiting. I had a 3.5 gallon at one point. It kind of seemed like I had to do two 50% water changes on that on that one in general to keep things clean.

You could even do every other day while he heals to keep it extra clean.

7. KeypantelNew MemberMember

Hey, this fin rot has gotten very bad over another day. If it keeps growing at this rate, the fin will be shredded in a week. I will take your advice and do more frequent water changes.

Attached Files:

8. KeypantelNew MemberMember

Hey, this fin rot has gotten very bad over another day. If it keeps growing at this rate, the fin will be shredded in a week. I will take your advice and do more frequent water changes.

9. RylanWell Known MemberMember

For it to happen that fast I think it might be a combination of the two. Tailbiting/fin rot.

So you may still want to check for anything sharp or if he could be bored and tailbiting.

My Betta shreds his own tail fin often because he bites them so I just have to keep the water really clean and try to keep him distracted. Some people use Indian almond leaves to help with healing as well.

I’m not super good with medicines, but more frequent water changes are usually all you need in most cases.

10. Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

That's for sure biting that rot has set into. There isn't a for sure fix for tail biting so try making sure the water quality is great, he isn't bored, or stressed.

11. KeypantelNew MemberMember

Got it. I do have almond leaves, as I was recommended them in a mother post, but they didn't seem do do anything except grow fungus after a few days. Do you have any recommendations for a product that keeps them entertained? Ive seen betta mirrors (but thought it would keep him flaring too much)

My tank Is terrible. It's a 3.5 gallon, semi circular, tall tank. No space to swim but ip and down... And maintenence/ cleaning is a nightmare. That being said, I'm upgrading to a 10 gallon in around a week. I will do what you guys recommend until it gets better.

12. Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

Try to rearrange some things more often and switch stuff out to prevent boredom.

13. RylanWell Known MemberMember

That’s odd, I’ve never heard of them doing that before. Maybe you could try boiling them first and putting a little of the cooled tea you end up with in the tank instead. Some people prefer that to having the leaves in the tank.

I had a tank just like that! You’ll love the 10 gallon when you upgrade. It’s SO much easier.

There’s some people like to use something like a little ping pong to play with them for a few minutes. Mine’s a fan of the laser pointer like my other pets lol.

You could also just try rearranging the tank now and then, or putting entirely new plants or decorations to explore. My favorites are Anubias and moss balls. Those things will grow in any tank.

Sometimes they don’t stop tailbiting altogether but sometimes you can distract them enough to keep them from doing it as often. :)

14. KeypantelNew MemberMember

Thanks, I have anubias and Marimo balls, but u will try to rearrange things more often. Tank space is limited as it is a tall instead of wide one. I am planning on getting a regular shaped teb gallon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice