Help?! Betta Fin Rot and Cloudy Eye

peachsonas

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5 Gallons
How long has the tank been running? Almost a month
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 veil tail betta
1 mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Twice a week, and as needed
How much of the water do you change? 20%-30%
What do you use to treat your water? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both, but I've been steering away from vacuuming substrate to aid the cycling process

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No ): fish-in cycle is still in the works though
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day. Feed in the morning and in evening.
How much do you feed your fish? 2-3 pellets/flakes/worms
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval Bug Bite Flakes, Tetra Bettamin, Frozen bloodworms, Aqueon betta pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Both

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost a month!
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday.
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Clouded over eyes, worn down fins
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Not yet
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No changes in behavior, just in appearance

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
My betta has clouded over eyes. He also has some mild fin rot. There's an almond leaf in the tank, and since then one of the holes in his tail is better. I'm more concerned about his cloudy eyes. What can I do before resorting to medicine and/or salt baths? Please help!

See pics below for white spots in his eyes

Attachments

• 337DC3AD-43B4-4FB3-B773-E88F2F053F91.jpg
    337DC3AD-43B4-4FB3-B773-E88F2F053F91.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 9281EF0D-BBA0-4FC8-AE59-E170B6624360.jpg
    9281EF0D-BBA0-4FC8-AE59-E170B6624360.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 22

Salem

I've mostly seen clouded eyes happen to fish living in less than ideal water conditions-considering you're doing a fish-in cycle that's likely the cause. It should clear up once the tank is cycled.

Upvote 0

peachsonas

I've mostly seen clouded eyes happen to fish living in less than ideal water conditions-considering you're doing a fish-in cycle that's likely the cause. It should clear up once the tank is cycled.
Okay. I've been monitoring the water levels and my cycle seems to be close to complete. I'm going to keep monitoring it. The ammonia and nitrates have been consistently at 0 for almost a week, but it seems so sudden considering the fish in cycle has been happening for a while now and his eyes clouded yesterday..

Upvote 0

Salem

Okay. I've been monitoring the water levels and my cycle seems to be close to complete. I'm going to keep monitoring it. The ammonia and nitrates have been consistently at 0 for almost a week, but it seems so sudden considering the fish in cycle has been happening for a while now and his eyes clouded yesterday..
I'm more concerned about the nitrites being at 5 to be honest, thats about the limit before things get toxic. You may want to consider doing a water change to lower than if you can.

Upvote 0

peachsonas

I'm more concerned about the nitrites being at 5 to be honest, thats about the limit before things get toxic. You may want to consider doing a water change to lower than if you can.
Can do! I was concerned about that too. I just changed my water yesterday, too... I added a few plants that I got from my lfs. I dipped them in some tank water before adding to remove any hitchhikers, but do you think that could've messed with the nitrites? Otherwise, I'm assuming it's just the tank doing its thing and trying to cycle.

Upvote 0

Salem

Can do! I was concerned about that too. I just changed my water yesterday, too... I added a few plants that I got from my lfs. I dipped them in some tank water before adding to remove any hitchhikers, but do you think that could've messed with the nitrites? Otherwise, I'm assuming it's just the tank doing its thing and trying to cycle.
It could have possibly helped boost them up but I think it's probably the tank doing its thing. I've found tanks 10 gallons and under can go through so really funky first cycles!

Upvote 0

peachsonas

It could have possibly helped boost them up but I think it's probably the tank doing its thing. I've found tanks 10 gallons and under can go through so really funky first cycles!
True, true. I'll go ahead and do that water change, then. I appreciate your advice! :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CPTropicalAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aguasfrescas
Replies
Views