Help betta fin damage!!!

Bbeginner83

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter?yes
Does it have a heater?yes
What is the water temperature? 79 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 4 days, salt regime
How much of the water do you change? %30
What do you use to treat your water? Nothing, spring water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes every 4 days

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Yes
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 3 small pellets, shrimp sometimes, bloodworms sometimes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried but i soften before feeding

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
My betta somehow burrowed into the gravel to get to the pump in got his fins sucked in. Prior to this he had started tail biting and I moved him to a new tank. He stopped, tail was growing back. Now all his fins look bad. I'm about to cry.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Water changes, salt, order more almond leaves. i lowered the water level so he can get his food and swim to get air.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He was a rescue, he was a full color when I got him and except for the tail biting has been very active.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Now all his beautiful fins are tattered. He's still active, but can't swim well. He appetite is the same. His color isn't as bright.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
My little betta has had a rough time. I got him as a rescue, i don't know where he breed. I had to treat him for an extend gill and that's good now it's his fins. I moved him to a new tank bc of tail biting and all was well until yesterday. His fins were growing back and he was happy. Then He dug into the gravel and wedged himself under the pump into the gravel. He's never done that before. Now his other two fins are damaged too. I'm so sad. I lowered the water level and turned the pump down. ( I put a nylon over it now) I'm out of almond leaves, so I ordered some and I'll put aquarium salt in the tank and water changes. Is there anything else? Maybe betta fix? I normally don't use it, but maybe for this emergency?

Betta'sAnonymous

Sounds like you are doing what you need to. I would stay away from the betta fix though.

Bbeginner83

Okay, I'll steer clear. I just want him better. Thanks!

fishlabtechKT

It sounds like you're doing a lot already! If you continue your maintenance the way your are I'm sure he will heal nicely. From what you described it sounds like he was just injured? Is the filter intake flow too strong?

I use a filter intake sponge by fluval that goes over the intake pipe so my betta's fins don't get sucked in. My betta was also a rescue and when I got him he had fin rot and for a while I was adding a liquid freshwater fish vitamin to his pellets prior to feeding him. It really helped increase the rate of fin regrowth!

Bbeginner83

He is ALOT better! Hes swimming faster and his bright color is back. His fins aren't clinched anymore either. So far so good. I'm thinking about filling his tank up to the top in a few days or a week

Thank you for the advice! What brand of vitamins do you use?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom