Help Betta Choking Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AleksTheFish, Mar 26, 2019.

1. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

I FED HIM A PEA AND ITS STUCK PLEASE HELP Image1553623591.941784.jpg

HE’S DYING HELP

He’s upside down I’m panicking

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
  2. The_fishyValued MemberMember

You might be able to carefully net him, hold him lightly with the net, and gently/quickly remove it with tweezers.

3. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

It’s in his throat and he tried it’s only stressing him

4. SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

Use a pin to pierce the pea and pull it out instead? Worst case scenario, you could go in through the gills with a bobby pin or something and push it out that way. Not ideal, but if he is dying.... might be a better shot than nothing

5. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

He’s still breathing air but his gills are only moving every few minutes

We can’t open his mouth

6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

First off, I suggest trying to calm down. I know this is ridiculous and scary, but you need to be able to stay calm so you can think things through.

Secondly, he’s still breathing right? Well, the pea should break down soon enough. My boesamnis always shove all the peas into their mouths as they possibly can and a lot of the time it looks like they’re choking. But I then see the pieces of pea slowly breaking off as they “chew”. The pea will get soggy rather quickly and should be able to slide right down.

If it does seem like he’s dying and needs immediate medical attention then I’d suggest sedating him and perhaps not even trying to get the pea out, but carefully break it apart. That way he can get it out himself. For example, use the pin idea and carefully tear small pieces and put holes in it.

I really hope things work out for you and your boy!

7. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Thanks. I have nothing to sedate though.

8. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Would there be anyway someone could go and get a bit of clove oil? They typically sell it at grocery stores since aromatherapy has become so big.

If not perhaps do try going through the gill, but do so very carefully. Any time he moves you stop moving. It would be best to enclose him in a damp paper towel and cut out a section that exposes his gill.

Again, only if you believe it’s the only way to save him. I still think you may be able to wait it out, but you are there, not me, so you certainly know what’s better in this situation.

9. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Ok thanks. I’ve turned the filter off because it was pushing him too much or should I put it back on to keep him moving?

He’s moving his gills does that mean he’s breathing it trying to breathe?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
  10. SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

At minimum I think that means water is moving across them, and therefore he is breathing.

Might I suggest brine shrimp as future treats?

11. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Thanks.
    I think I’m just going to stick to flakes and dried mosquito larvae after this thanks :)

12. SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

No worries!
    I hope the little guy pulls through. Keep us updated will ya?

13. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

If the filter was pushing him around it was good that you shut it off, but if you have an air pump I’d suggest putting that in. This way he gets a bit more oxygen in the water if he is struggling to breath.

14. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

I think us panicking and trying to get him out of the water and gently massaging his belly only stresses him more

No we don’t have one

15. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, I’d try not to do that to much more. Not only is it stressful, but if you accidentally press to hard on the wrong spot it can damage them.
    Ah ok, it’s not really necessary, just if you did have one it might be a little useful.

16. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

How fragile are Bettas? Now we’re worrying that we’ve broken something.

17. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It really depends, but if you were careful there really shouldn’t be an issue. I’m just saying this as there can be complications and should really be used as a last resort. I wouldn’t be to worried and I’m sorry if I made you worry even more, that was not my intention at all.

Honestly though, if he’s doing well for this long I think he’ll be fine. He’ll be stressed for a bit, but once the pea starts breaking down it should be fine.

I would suggest turning the light off though to reduce stress and using a warm light or natural lighting when you look at him.

18. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Don’t worry nothings your fault :). I have turned the light off and he swam normally for a bit and now he’s lying on the floor. Thank you for helping and I will update when something new happens.

19. AleksTheFishValued MemberMember

Ok so now every few Minutes he zooms up and then just lets himself fall and falls face into the ground. Is it possible that he’s trying to get air but can’t? Should I try to help him?

20. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

He could be trying to get air. Perhaps you could turn the heater horizontally (if it’s one that can be positioned as such) and lower the water level so it’s easier for him to get to the surface/air. This what I’ve seen people do when they’ve got a Betta with a long term swim bladder issue.