Help! Betta attack

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
My Crown Betta is attacking my other fish. He's torn off the tails of a few of my guppies. Why is this? Is there something I am doing wrong? I took him out and into a bowl and found out that he doesn't like flake food. I bought him pellets. Could this be why he attacked the others?

antisen

Reaction score
Bettas can be somewhat aggressive, territorial fish. They get along with very few other fish, mostly bottom-dwellers like Otos and Corys. Your betta would probably do better in its own 5 gallon tank, if you can manage that. Although they have great personalities on their own, they are not compatible with most community tanks.

It's good that you bought your betta pellets, but it will probably not solve the problem you're having with him attacking your other fish.

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Bettas should never be in a tank with Guppies or any fish with big tails. It's the same as putting them with other Bettas. In fact, Bettas are really best all alone. Get him his own 5+ gallon tank or he will kill all your other fish.

OP
S

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
I just thought it'd be fine. I did my research and they are supposed to be compatible. and also my friend has them in her tank. I mean I also have long finned danio and other fish with big tails and they haven't been bothered. I'd really like to put him back in the tank if I can. I just worry about my guppies. He didn't even bother the guppy fry that hung out in the plant he did.

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
It depends...also they might have bothered him, who knows? But generally its a safe bet that fish that resemble bettas or have long fins could be targeted...I know some HAVE put the two species together and it worked but I'd be wary if I were you.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettas seem to not get along with guppies a lot of the time, more often than not fins get nipped off. The colors of the guppies, them being in his territory or even a few of them coming over to check him out could've led to the lost fins. We had platys lose fins to our 1st Betta because they just were so curious about him and he felt threatened. You'll find a lot of erroneous info online about betta tank mates and on rare occasions a betta WILL get along with guppies or other fish (that's why we tried platys with our first betta) but for the most part, corys, otos & mystery snails seem to be the best tank mates for bettas.

Unfortunately, he'll need a tank of his own if possible for the safety of your other fish. It's most likely a matter of time until the fry start to get eaten if he catches them and Danio gets nipped and it could lead to fin rot. As it is, something like NovAqua+ would be good for the guppies who've lost fins.

Maybe a 5 gallon hex (29.99 at wally world) would work for him and be easiest on the budget? Although sometimes they also have a 10 gallon basic glass rectangular kit for the same price.

New Threads