Help!! Betta ate large amount of snello, HUGE belly

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Help! (Sorry I would have posted this is the “help” forum but I can’t find it.

Please help...I made some snello for my two nerites, and five minutes later went to check to see if they like it and omg, Simon the betta obviously just glommed onto it because his belly is HUGE! What can I do for him?What are the dangers to look out for? Can he die from a) eating snello and b) eating his body weight in snello? Photos attached - it’s pretty bad.
4FCB6482-C803-44A6-9191-0B24A01A84E5.jpeg

Thank you in advance, oh wise betta keepers! I’ve had him for a while, this is the first time I’ve been genuinely concerned for his life.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A couple more photos
67764D0B-A764-4EC3-AEB6-F70126BE3512.jpeg

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
He obviously is very bloated, but he won't die from overeating. Just fast him for several days and he'll eventually pass all that out on his own. If he's still bloated after, you can feed a deshelled blanched pea or do an epsom salt bath to act as a laxative.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
He obviously is very bloated, but he won't die from overeating. Just fast him for several days and he'll eventually pass all that out on his own. If he's still bloated after, you can feed a deshelled blanched pea or do an epsom salt bath to act as a laxative.
Thank you! So there is nothing I can do for him except wait it out? He won’t die just from eating that much (or specifically eating snello - baby food peas, calcium, fish flakes, gelatin)?

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is him as his normal self
466D7C24-594C-4F8F-A7A0-DF09E6B1D238.jpeg

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My own betta Lazarus does this all the time. The dang fool sees algae wafers, carrots, lettuce, snello, ANYTHING I put in for my snails and decides that he should eat at least half. I assure you he will be fine. Bettas can't actually process plant based foods, which is why people feel them a piece of pea when they're bloated from constipation. It literally shoots right through them and makes them diarrhea (similar to someone whose lactose intolerant drinking a glass of milk).

Your little guy will be perfectly fine. He may feel a bit sluggish and uncomfortable and he may experience some minor and temporary swim bladder issues (from his stomach pushing against it) but nothing serious. Just let him be and don't feed him until his stomach goes back down. It might take a day or two but eventually he's gonna let out an absolute monster of a poo (possibly a few) and feel a lot better.

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Salem said:
My own betta Lazarus does this all the time. The dang fool sees algae wafers, carrots, lettuce, snello, ANYTHING I put in for my snails and decides that he should eat at least half. I assure you he will be fine. Bettas can't actually process plant based foods, which is why people feel them a piece of pea when they're bloated from constipation. It literally shoots right through them and makes them diarrhea (similar to someone whose lactose intolerant drinking a glass of milk).

Your little guy will be perfectly fine. He may feel a bit sluggish and uncomfortable and he may experience some minor and temporary swim bladder issues (from his stomach pushing against it) but nothing serious. Just let him be and don't feed him until his stomach goes back down. It might take a day or two but eventually he's gonna let out an absolute monster of a poo (possibly a few) and feel a lot better.
Thank you!!! This makes me feel better. I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the support, it’s so appreciated! I feel so lucky to have found this forum.

❤❤

BettaNgold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree! Fast him and he’ll be fine. Beautiful betta, by the way!

Mamastacia3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all! Today the belly is much smaller. Still bloated but not so scary. He is acting “normal,” swimming around etc whereas last night he was hiding under his bridge at the bottom. Probably too heavy to swim up lol. Learned my lesson, feed the snails their snello separately!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom