Help! betta acclimation disaster!

Sunrise

HELP! my tank finished cycling, so I bought my betta, Apollo. HOWEVER i forgot to buy a fish net, and I don’t want to touch him with my hands. Is there anything I can do to transfer him?

Salem

What is he currently in?

Mbradley17

HELP! my tank finished cycling, so I bought my betta, Apollo. HOWEVER i forgot to buy a fish net, and I don’t want to touch him with my hands. Is there anything I can do to transfer him?
Try a small bowl… it works well

Sunrise

The small fish store cup

Sunrise

I heard the the pet store water was bad for your tank? That’s why I was reluctant to do so…

Salem

I heard the the pet store water was bad for your tank? That’s why I was reluctant to do so…
It's just water thats likely got a bit of ammonia in it. If your tank is cycled its going to cycle the ammonia.

Sunrise

How do I acclimate him? I have him floating, he has been for around 12 minutes. Occasionally I take about 15ml and drip them into the tank?

Salem

How do I acclimate him? I have him floating, he has been for around 12 minutes. Occasionally I take about 15ml and drip them into the tank?
You can remove some of the water from the cup and add in water from the tank. If the store he came from is in the town or city as your house you can likely just dump him in now as the tap water should be the same at both locations.

Sunrise

You’re sure this won’t hurt him? I want to be as safe as possible
The flow in my tank is really fast- how should I slow it with everyday items? (I’m low on money, so I can’t buy some expensive item)
It looks like he’s having trouble making it to the top what should I do? I don’t want my new baby betta to die!

Salem

Fish go into shock when the parameters of their current container are drastically different than those of their next container. An example would be if the ph in the cup was an 8 and the ph of your tank was 5, or if one of the two had extremely high salt levels. A small difference may affect certain creatures that are very sensitive (like shrimp) but betta fish are surprisingly hardy. Consider how many of these little guys can live years in those bowls people keep them in.

The danger in the water in the cup is that its high in ammonia. It's usually about 250ml of water and the ammonia tends to be around 0.25-0.5. Adding that into a tank thats anywhere over 3 gallons is going to dilute it significantly. In a 5 or more gal tank it will dilute it down enough it wont register on a test.
Petstores use tap water like 95% of the time. If its within the same town or city as you thats the same water you will have at your own home, unless you yourself use well water. Unless you add things to change the ph or hardness significantly, the water is going to be basically the same.
The major difference is most likely to be temperature. Floating the cup in the tank will warm up the water inside it to match the tank.
The flow in my tank is really fast- how should I slow it with everyday items? (I’m low on money, so I can’t buy some expensive item)
It looks like he’s having trouble making it to the top what should I do? I don’t want my new baby betta to die!
There are lots of ways to baffle a filter. The cheapest is to make a water bottle baffle. Basically you cut up a water bottle and put it around the output. He is likely struggling because the output is strong, the baffle will help this.

Sunrise

guys…my betta, Apollo, has just been swimming in place- I can see that he’s still alive, and I’m working on slowing the current. Could it be that he is been living in a cup, so he simply does not have the energy? Also how should I slow the water? Could I buy some filter foam and shove it in the filter? Would that work?

Salem

guys…my betta, Apollo, has just been swimming in place- I can see that he’s still alive, and I’m working on slowing the current. Could it be that he is been living in a cup, so he simply does not have the energy? Also how should I slow the water? Could I buy some filter foam and shove it in the filter? Would that work?
Did the water bottle baffle I linked not work? Do you have a photo of your filter?

Additionally, its not uncommon for bettas to just swim in place for a while. Bettas with long fins especially have difficulty swimming as the fins weigh them down.

Sunrise

Here ye go:

also idk if the baffle will work on my tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 11

Salem

Ah, you have one of those biorb looking ones, I see. You can just jam some filter sponge or polyfill (stuffing made from polyester) into that tube.

Sunrise

I’m a little worried because when I tried that it blocked up the tube and I don’t have one of those one way valves on my aquarium. They are cheap on Amazon so I’ll probably just buy from them.

Salem

That's a good idea. I saw on your other thread that you aren't sure how this filter works. This is an under-gravel sponge filter. It's like a normal sponge filter but with the substrate acting as additional mechanical filtration. Heres a diagram.

I'm unsure how the flow would be affecting him, as the only portion that is pushing upwards should be the bubbles themselves. The water is actually pulling down everywhere else toward the filter itself. However, seeing as this is a modified sponge filter there is actually very little pull at all.

Sunrise

Hmmm……how do I test the water current speed? Is there a way to tell by sticking your finger in?

Salem

Hmmm……how do I test the water current speed? Is there a way to tell by sticking your finger in?
A strong current would be visible with the decor in the tank. If its only barely moving or not moving the leaves then the current is far too low to be causing issue with the fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OxymocanthusLongstrinosus
Replies
Views
sarah zehowski
Replies
Views
sinned4g63
Replies
Views
Bettalover99
Replies
Views
sarah zehowski

Did You Know...

Used aquarium water (with no medications in it) can be good for watering your house plants! Have you done a water change lately?
What do you do with your water change water?

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom