Help Beta Fish Seems Sick

1. S

Savannah42 New Member Member

my young male beta fish isn't eating much and likes to hang in the top corner of his cage with his back fins not spread out like usual

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Can you post a picture of him? What are your parameters? What size tank, tank mates, filter and heater?

3. OP
    OP
    S

He is alone in a fairly small cage since he's only a baby. There is no filter or heater but I change his water every other day and use a water cleaner solution. Our house is 78 degrees so he doesn't have a heater right now.

IMG_1352.JPG

4. kayla.s

He really does need both a heater and a filter, as well as at least a 5g tank. He's probably hanging out at the top because he can't breathe otherwise, because of no filtration

How old is he?

5. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

Do you know how big the tank is in liters or gallons? How long have you had him? A pic would help too:)

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    I agree, he really needs a filter, heater and bigger tank.
    Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

From the picture I see clamped fins (which is a sign of stress) and possibly slight finrot.

7. LucyC

I don't see the need for a heater right now if their house is 78 degrees though, tell me if I'm wrong

8. kayla.s

Bettas need around 28°C as far as I know, and 78°=25°. And remember that's the house, not the water temp @LucyC

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The house may be at 78f right now but I'd be surprised if it was at 78f during the middle of winter and I'd be surprised if it was a stable 78f day and night. Anyway that's room temperature, not tank temperature.

10. OP
    OP
    S

I belive his tank is about 2/3 of a gallon and he's pretty young. I got him and the tank at Petco a week ago

11. kayla.s

Unfortunately if you want him to live a long and happy life, you will have to upgrade and the sooner the better. Clamped fins and staying at the top are really not good signs

12. OP
    OP
    S

I am thinking about getting a bigger tank soon and a filter but last time I had a betta ( when I was like 6) he got stuck in the filter and died

13. kayla.s

There are different types of filters, get one that suits your needs :) though you really will need to do it quickly. Oh and don't trust anything petco tells you, always do your own research, just a heads up ;)

14. LucyC

Sorry, my bad! I totally read that wrong, I thought it said the water was 78. Yes, you will need a heater to keep a stable temp:)

15. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Do a 60% water change today. Do another one tomorrow, and the day after- and every day he's in a tank that small. Match the water temperature each time, and treat the water to remove chlorine before adding it. In a tank that small pollution builds fast- especially if there's rotting food at the bottom of that tank.

(I agree with the others- yes, he needs a bigger tank. Yes, he needs a heater [even if it's warm right now.] Yes, he needs water movement. But my suggestions are for what you can do right now to improve his health so you can do those other things later.)

16. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

A sponge filter would be fine, set for a nice gentle flow. He won't get stuck in that.

17. OP
    OP
    S

I got him a 2.5 gallon tank and a filter. I added some water conditioner, betta fin and skin healer, and some aquarium salt. He still doesn't eat and stays at the bottom

Attached Files:

18. kayla.s

It will take time to get better if it's going to... he needs consistent good water conditions so I'd suggest water changes of 50% every second day. You don't have a cycle established yet so the fish is under a ton of stress and is very susceptible to illness right now. He's probably suffering from ammonia poisoning and high nitrites.

19. LucyC

I would suggest putting a sponge on the intake of the filter so his fins don't get caught in it:)

20. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

It usually takes a bit of time for the fish to recover and get used to his new home.