Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 15ish (now) 2 week old baby molly fry

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25-50 percent
What do you use to treat your water? ApI relaxing coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just water (clear bottom)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? 5 strip test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: less than measurable
Nitrate: .2
pH: 6.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? A pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tropic fish flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Baby brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? No symptoms really just one second fine the next won't leave thr bottom and dead
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I put melafix in just to do something
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Some have white spots but as black mollies ive heard its fine (I don't know who dad is)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. All fry were born fine. None born stillborn or died soon after. I had one belly slider die about a week sgo, but none of the swimmers were sick. Had one die teo days ago and another die yesterday. Spent the night somewhere rlse and csme back to 11 dead baby molly fry. Still have about 15 and wanna help them. Ive moved two back to mamas tank so far and risking it (two biggest) I feel like maybe an ammonia spike but idk how, I cl3aned their tank before I left yesterday.

Momgoose56

Bellaona said:
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3.5 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 15ish (now) 2 week old baby molly fry

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25-50 percent
What do you use to treat your water? ApI relaxing coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Just water (clear bottom)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? 5 strip test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: less than measurable
Nitrate: .2
pH: 6.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? A pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tropic fish flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Baby brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 days
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? No symptoms really just one second fine the next won't leave thr bottom and dead
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I put melafix in just to do something
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Some have white spots but as black mollies ive heard its fine (I don't know who dad is)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. All fry were born fine. None born stillborn or died soon after. I had one belly slider die about a week sgo, but none of the swimmers were sick. Had one die teo days ago and another die yesterday. Spent the night somewhere rlse and csme back to 11 dead baby molly fry. Still have about 15 and wanna help them. Ive moved two back to mamas tank so far and risking it (two biggest) I feel like maybe an ammonia spike but idk how, I cl3aned their tank before I left yesterday.
You really need a test kit that measures ammonia. You said your nitrate is .2? I don't believe there is a test kit that measures nitrates that low. Can you double check that? I'm guessing your tank may not actually be cycled. Are you using a dechlorinator with every water change? Melafix will do nothing for them and i'm not sure it's good for fry. I'd stop using it. The API Master test kit is cheaper per set of tests than any strips. You'd be better off with a kit like that if you really want to keep an eye on their water quality. I suspect that is their problem.

Bellaona

Momgoose56 said:
You really need a test kit that measures ammonia. You said your nitrate is .2? I don't believe there is a test kit that measures nitrates that low. Can you double check that? I'm guessing your tank may not actually be cycled. Are you using a dechlorinator with every water change? Melafix will do nothing for them and i'm not sure it's good for fry. I'd stop using it. The API Master test kit is cheaper per set of tests than any strips. You'd be better off with a kit like that if you really want to keep an eye on their water quality. I suspect that is their problem.
It says 0, but I know it can't actually be 0, and it is? Ill look into the master kit today then. I got the kits before I knew ammonia needed to be tested too and have been trying to survive on that while getting stuff like backyp heaters a sick tank ect ect.

And yes I use dechlorinater every time. And I'm almost positive its cycled. It ran for a month, with a cartridge from a separate tank and I added food n stuff for the bb to eat. And it had a different fish in there for a month before the babies were. I saw the nitrite spike, then nitrate, then both go undectectable again.

MissNoodle

Bellaona said:
It says 0, but I know it can't actually be 0, and it is? Ill look into the master kit today then. I got the kits before I knew ammonia needed to be tested too and have been trying to survive on that while getting stuff like backyp heaters a sick tank ect ect.

And yes I use dechlorinater every time. And I'm almost positive its cycled. It ran for a month, with a cartridge from a separate tank and I added food n stuff for the bb to eat. And it had a different fish in there for a month before the babies were. I saw the nitrite spike, then nitrate, then both go undectectable again.
Nitrate is always present in cycled tanks, a reading of 0 means its not cycled

Bellaona

MissNoodle said:
Nitrate is always present in cycled tanks, a reading of 0 means its not cycled
No its cuz my test isn't accurste enough. It only shows up if its .4 or higher. But lets say your right, before I even put fish in I but a used biomedia, stuff for bb to grow on, watched the numbers change like they are suposed to. Let me know what else I need to look for to make sure its cycled after evrn hsving snother fish in the tank for a month after it cycled. I figured it was a relapse like s triggered cycle. Cuz the babies had tons of hiding places I wonder if I missed one dead and it decayed and created a spike that killed more. If you ssy its not cycled, then please tell me how one does cycle better than instructions, instead of just being negative. Id like to help the rest of my babied instead of argue. I just had ELEVEN babies die.

Momgoose56

Bellaona said:
No its cuz my test isn't accurste enough. It only shows up if its .4 or higher. But lets say your right, before I even put fish in I but a used biomedia, stuff for bb to grow on, watched the numbers change like they are suposed to. Let me know what else I need to look for to make sure its cycled after evrn hsving snother fish in the tank for a month after it cycled. I figured it was a relapse like s triggered cycle. Cuz the babies had tons of hiding places I wonder if I missed one dead and it decayed and created a spike that killed more. If you ssy its not cycled, then please tell me how one does cycle better than instructions, instead of just being negative. Id like to help the rest of my babied instead of argue. I just had ELEVEN babies die.
No one is arguing with you Bellaona. The only thing people have done so far is give you information. To cycle, a tank and be able to know for sure the tank is cycled, you'll need a good test kit that measures pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates reliably first. In the mean time, keep doing 50% water changes about twice a week on the Molly fry tank. You have API stress coat water conditioner right? Can you take a picture of the fry?
You will want to get the Fry tank cycled before the next batch shows up and we can help you do that. You may need to get a couple more supply's if it turns out your tank isn't cycled. I'd also suggest that you test all your main tank too when you get the new test kit as well since you've been having some unusual deaths recently there as well.

Giul

Bellaona said:
My mom has raised platy fry in a cycling tank before and the key thing is to do water changes frequently. It’s not ideal but a panicked mother (or grandmother in her case) will do crazy things sometimes.

I would stop with the melafix because the unnecessary medication could weaken them further. Pictures of the fry would really help! That way we can see if they’re eating properly (although they should enjoy the baby brine shrimp), if they’re sick, or if there’s something else going on. My fry enjoy HikarI first bites because they’re so small they need tiny food. The white spots make me wonder if it’s ich but your tank is warm so I’m not entirely sure.

If this is your first time raising fry relax and breathe. Let’s get some pictures and accurate tank parameters so we can get your babies nice and healthy

Bellaona

Momgoose56 said:
No one is arguing with you Bellaona. The only thing people have done so far is give you information. To cycle, a tank and be able to know for sure the tank is cycled, you'll need a good test kit that measures pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates reliably first. In the mean time, keep doing 50% water changes about twice a week on the Molly fry tank. You have API stress coat water conditioner right? Can you take a picture of the fry?
You will want to get the Fry tank cycled before the next batch shows up and we can help you do that. You may need to get a couple more supply's if it turns out your tank isn't cycled. I'd also suggest that you test all your main tank too when you get the new test kit as well since you've been having some unusual deaths recently there as well.
I don't think its a cycle issue. I did a chsngr last night and thrn another 50 percent one today which should dillute ammonia to safe levels, and 8 more died. They have been emergency moved into the moms tank. I'm sorry but just telling me that its not cycled ehile my fish die just was frustersting. I feel like maybe something bad got in the water. And the test kit still showed the levels. I also did a 50 percent water chsnge wednesdsy before this happened becsuse the Ph lowerred by a point and that's a sign of ammonia issues. So the water should be completly new but I don't know. The tank was cycled. You don't need a test kit to make the tsnk cycle. And the #s got big enough yo see the spike and everything. I just don't know what to do righy now. I feel like a ghost came through and killed my babies. I'm sorry I'm defensive of this but these things are my life and I'm not thst stupid to not cycle the tank. Or take extra precautions ahead of time. Its only a 3.5 gallon and it had 10 weeks of cycling with both hardy fish and without fish and bb from the main tank to start with. The first ones obviously a dead one the second is beforr this all happened and the third is today but they are really hard to see in the 10 gallon

Giul said:
My mom has raised platy fry in a cycling tank before and the key thing is to do water changes frequently. It’s not ideal but a panicked mother (or grandmother in her case) will do crazy things sometimes.

I would stop with the melafix because the unnecessary medication could weaken them further. Pictures of the fry would really help! That way we can see if they’re eating properly (although they should enjoy the baby brine shrimp), if they’re sick, or if there’s something else going on. My fry enjoy HikarI first bites because they’re so small they need tiny food. The white spots make me wonder if it’s ich but your tank is warm so I’m not entirely sure.

If this is your first time raising fry relax and breathe. Let’s get some pictures and accurate tank parameters so we can get your babies nice and healthy
Okay thank you... I'm sorry I just these are my babies and I literally haven't been leaving the house working for them, and I finally leave and come back to this horrible mess. I poseed pictures in another response. I put like two drops of melafix in but then did 2 water changes about 10 hours apart. I feel like something bad got into the water somehow. They still were dropping rapidly after the water changes, which should dillute an ammonia spike. I never got ammonia test strips becsuse so much of that stuff is intertwined I could normally tell if it was going to happen by kH and pH. And my strips arnt "bad" id say, just accurate enough for extreme circumstances and everything is still reading fine. I know I should grab another kit now especislly if it is extra value. I didnt mesn to be cheap on them I just always used thst in the past to no issues.

I wasn't expecting them too, they went into q fully cycled sick tank after they were born because I didnt even realize mama was pregnant since you can't see her gravid spot and there was no boys in the tank with her.

Momgoose56 said:
I had one death from that tank and that was actually a guppy who was pregnant who got moved to this same sick tank. That was about a month or two ago too. Other than that everyone is fat and healthy and active.

Attachments

Momgoose56

Bellaona said:
I don't think its a cycle issue. I did a chsngr last night and thrn another 50 percent one today which should dillute ammonia to safe levels, and 8 more died. They have been emergency moved into the moms tank. I'm sorry but just telling me that its not cycled ehile my fish die just was frustersting. I feel like maybe something bad got in the water. And the test kit still showed the levels. I also did a 50 percent water chsnge wednesdsy before this happened becsuse the Ph lowerred by a point and that's a sign of ammonia issues. So the water should be completly new but I don't know. The tank was cycled. You don't need a test kit to make the tsnk cycle. And the #s got big enough yo see the spike and everything. I just don't know what to do righy now. I feel like a ghost came through and killed my babies. I'm sorry I'm defensive of this but these things are my life and I'm not thst stupid to not cycle the tank. Or take extra precautions ahead of time. Its only a 3.5 gallon and it had 10 weeks of cycling with both hardy fish and without fish and bb from the main tank to start with. The first ones obviously a dead one the second is beforr this all happened and the third is today but they are really hard to see in the 10 gallon
A pH changing is NOT a reliable indicator of "ammonia issues". Ammonia has a pH of over 11, if anything, high ammonia levels in a tank might possibly raise the pH but may not. GH/KH will tell you NOTHING about the nitrogen composition of your tank (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates). I believe the problems you have been having since September is a result of water quality issues. But that can't be confirmed or negated and certainly can't be fixed without testing all the water parameters over several days to know for sure. You came here with a problem, asking for advice, and you've received some good advice over the weeks from several experts. It's up to you whether you follow that advice or not but my suggestion is that before you make up your mind, look at what's happening to your fish-- educate yourself on the symptoms and effects of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate poisoning and on how help the nitrogen cycle work to keep your artificial "aquatic system in a box" working for the health of your fish.

Bellaona

Momgoose56 said:
A pH lowering is NOT a sign of "ammonia issues". Ammonia has a pH of over 11, if anything, high ammonia levels in a tank would raise the pH. GH/KH will tell you NOTHING about the nitrogen composition of your tank (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates). I believe the problems you have been having since September is a result of water quality issues. But that can't be confirmed or negated and certainly can't be fixed without testing all the water parameters over several days to know for sure. You came here with a problem, asking for advice, and you've received some good advice over the weeks from several experts. It's up to you whether you follow that advice or not but my suggestion is that before you make up your mind, look at what's happening to your fish-- educate yourself on the symptoms and effects of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate poisoning and on how help the nitrogen cycle work to keep your artificial "aquatic system in a box" working for the health of your fish.
First of all, noone else said my problem was water parameters on my other posts. Secondly, I don't want the opinion of someone who doesn't think I care obviously, 3rd noones actually told me how to fix it, 4th its all connected and 5th goodb

pagoda

First of all...calm yourself....getting upset doesn't help anyone, especially you

In your initial post you said that you use test strips, which are as others have siad are notoriously innaccurate and that is not your fault, its just an annoying thing that everyone has to deal with

Have you got a petshop that sells fish near to where you are...say around an hour's drive away?

If you have, then get a decent sample of your aquarium water into a sterilised and sealed pot (just washing a pot in boiling water will sterilise it so no worries on how to do that)....take the water sample to your closest petshop and have them test it for absolutely everything. They shouldn't charge you anything for that.

Also take photo's of the fry that have been lost.....now there are a variety of reasons why fry do not make it. Immature parents, water issues, genetic issues or just born sickly....nature has a way of culling those that have birth defects, genetic issues and so forth

Your water quality on paper is not perfect but as I have already said, using the strips is notorious for false readings.

Take a deep breath, try to relax and stay calm, OK, find a local supplier of live fish and take the water sample, once they give you the results then post them on here and we can work things out :)

Bellaona

pagoda said:
First of all...calm yourself....getting upset doesn't help anyone, especially you

In your initial post you said that you use test strips, which are as others have siad are notoriously innaccurate and that is not your fault, its just an annoying thing that everyone has to deal with

Have you got a petshop that sells fish near to where you are...say around an hour's drive away?

If you have, then get a decent sample of your aquarium water into a sterilised and sealed pot (just washing a pot in boiling water will sterilise it so no worries on how to do that)....take the water sample to your closest petshop and have them test it for absolutely everything. They shouldn't charge you anything for that.

Also take photo's of the fry that have been lost.....now there are a variety of reasons why fry do not make it. Immature parents, water issues, genetic issues or just born sickly....nature has a way of culling those that have birth defects, genetic issues and so forth

Your water quality on paper is not perfect but as I have already said, using the strips is notorious for false readings.

Take a deep breath, try to relax and stay calm, OK, find a local supplier of live fish and take the water sample, once they give you the results then post them on here and we can work things out :)
Okay.. thank you I was just panicing because it likes "yes I know somethings wrong I need ideas of ways to fix it" I'm going to now.

Momgoose56

Bellaona said:
First of all, noone else said my problem was water parameters on my other posts. Secondly, I don't want the opinion of someone who doesn't think I care obviously, 3rd noones actually told me how to fix it, 4th its all connected and 5th goodb
You never posted your water parameters in any of your other threads that I saw until this one. We can't advise you on something that we don't know.
Did you read the link you posted? It says:
"your tank may experience a natural drop in pH as a result of the production of nitrite ions" NOT ammonia. High nitrate levels can cause pH to drop. NOT ammonia. By the time ammonia or nitrate levels are high enough to make a perceptable difference in the pH of a small tank they are already toxic to your fish. You want to rely on that to monitor water quality?

pagoda

Bellaona said:
Okay.. thank you I was just panicing because it likes "yes I know somethings wrong I need ideas of ways to fix it" I'm going to now.
Be calm......fishkeeping is an emotional rollercoaster and that is one thing that no-one warns you about upfront. Get the water tested at the petshop.....and if the water comes back stable and healthy then we have to look at the physical issues of the fish, which can also have a huge impact on whether fry will survive or not...you'll never have 100% of fry survive to juvenile stage anyway but in certain circumstances things can be done to prevent losses like this.....though you need to realise that its never guaranteed that you'll not experience losses along the way

Bellaona

pagoda said:
Be calm......fishkeeping is an emotional rollercoaster and that is one thing that no-one warns you about upfront. Get the water tested at the petshop.....and if the water comes back stable and healthy then we have to look at the physical issues of the fish, which can also have a huge impact on whether fry will survive or not...you'll never have 100% of fry survive to juvenile stage anyway but in certain circumstances things can be done to prevent losses like this.....though you need to realise that its never guaranteed that you'll not experience losses along the way
I lost my belly slider about a week ago and one or two of my smallest earlier this week but that was to be expected. I'm getting it checke dnow

Momgoose56

Bellaona said:
Most fish stores (excluding specialty aquarium/aquatic stores) use the same "notoriously inaccurate" test strips to test customer water and know no more about the fish or aquariums they're selling than the OP does. It would be best, for the OP's fish, for her to get a decent liquid test kit and test the water herself. I wouldn't rely on some kid making extra college (or party) money part time at a big box pet store to test my water... lol!

Bellaona

pagoda said:
I'm happy and perplexed to say I got it tested and they said and I quote "your water is perfect besides being hard like everyone in this state. Ammonia barely there .1 MAYBE

Oh and no nitirtes and .2 nitrates

pagoda

OK......so water hardness can sometimes be a problem to certain fish species but that shouldn't be the issue with Mollies since they are hard to very hard water fish

The slight ammonia could well be due to the fry that have not made it past the initial birth stage....dead anything will spike ammonia just as an aquarium being uncycled, its part and parcel of the decaying of bodies.

So we know the water is reasonably good. So that will point us towards the fish....if the fish was pregnant before you brought it home, the stress can affect the unborn just as it can affect the mother to be or any fish. The mother fish could well have been stressed due to travel and that had a knock on effect to the fry. Also what do you know about the parents....sometimes genetics from both parents can cause infant mortality that is higher than average....but more often than not its basic natural selection, natures way of weeding out the weaker specimens due to birth defect, genetic issues, being born too soon, too small.....

Fry die for a multitude of reasons and they do it in the wild as well as in captivity....as long as you continue to monitor your aquarium, do the required maintenance and water testing and react to all changes in the water test results then you will have healthy fish. That is not to say that you will lose more fry this time around or in future cos you will, its rare to get 100%. Keep doing your maintenance, keep testing, get your own liquid type test kit and monitor....but stay calm and relax...nature has its own way of handling things and your Molly just like all other mums to be may have had a health issue that you did not know about that caused the issues you have now with her fry....but next time it will probably be different cos she has you to take care of her and watch for signs of problems and deal with them before they can do damage :)

Bellaona

pagoda said:
OK......so water hardness can sometimes be a problem to certain fish species but that shouldn't be the issue with Mollies since they are hard to very hard water fish

The slight ammonia could well be due to the fry that have not made it past the initial birth stage....dead anything will spike ammonia just as an aquarium being uncycled, its part and parcel of the decaying of bodies.

So we know the water is reasonably good. So that will point us towards the fish....if the fish was pregnant before you brought it home, the stress can affect the unborn just as it can affect the mother to be or any fish. The mother fish could well have been stressed due to travel and that had a knock on effect to the fry. Also what do you know about the parents....sometimes genetics from both parents can cause infant mortality that is higher than average....but more often than not its basic natural selection, natures way of weeding out the weaker specimens due to birth defect, genetic issues, being born too soon, too small.....

Fry die for a multitude of reasons and they do it in the wild as well as in captivity....as long as you continue to monitor your aquarium, do the required maintenance and water testing and react to all changes in the water test results then you will have healthy fish. That is not to say that you will lose more fry this time around or in future cos you will, its rare to get 100%. Keep doing your maintenance, keep testing, get your own liquid type test kit and monitor....but stay calm and relax...nature has its own way of handling things and your Molly just like all other mums to be may have had a health issue that you did not know about that caused the issues you have now with her fry....but next time it will probably be different cos she has you to take care of her and watch for signs of problems and deal with them before they can do damage :)
Thank you so much, I thought it might be that but it was just so sudden and as my first batch it was a shock. I expected a few to be stillborn and not make it past the first week but to be big and start dropping.. it was insane. It shocked me. Thanks everyone for the help and I'm getting my own master test kit this next paycheck :)

pagoda

You're welcome :)

Stay calm, be positive and do your regular maintenance & testing and monitor for unusual behaviour or if your fish show any warning signs and you will be OK and so will your fish :)

MissNoodle

Wasn't meaning to be negative, sorry if it came across that way.

Fry can be very delicate, anything can cause unexpected losses.

I would get tests that read all the parameters, including the subtle ones. Test the old water prior to changing it, test the new water before putting it in. See if there's any difference between any of the numbers.

Ive lost fry after water changes too. Adults were fine but suddenly one or two fry would drop dead. Its always possible to be something different by just a tiny amount, especially with fry that are potentially weaker (you never know the genetics if they were pregnant from the store).

Its really hard to keep fish keeping impersonal. We take things to heart when things go wrong, but sometimes its something out of our control

JamieLu

I agree with miss noodle. Check ur tap water for the ph and parameters and compare with ur tanks parameters. My tap water comes out at 8.2 PH and my tanks are 7.4 PH so if they are a lot different like mine its best to do small water changes over an extended period of time. My 75 gal I do a 40% water change but add the water back slowly and haven't had an issue yet but a drastic ph change suddenly could cause stress or death. Start with testing ur tap water and tank and see where that's at and go from there. Have any of the babies died in the original tank? I may have missed it but what's ur ph in the moms tank?

Bellaona

JamieLu said:
I agree with miss noodle. Check ur tap water for the ph and parameters and compare with ur tanks parameters. My tap water comes out at 8.2 PH and my tanks are 7.4 PH so if they are a lot different like mine its best to do small water changes over an extended period of time. My 75 gal I do a 40% water change but add the water back slowly and haven't had an issue yet but a drastic ph change suddenly could cause stress or death. Start with testing ur tap water and tank and see where that's at and go from there. Have any of the babies died in the original tank? I may have missed it but what's ur ph in the moms tank?
Moms tank is 7. Babies was 6. Just went sown the day I did the eater change. All the dead ones happened in their baby tank. I moved them to rheir moms tank when they started dying right beforr my eyes as I was putting the dead ones away. Theyve already had 3 water changes before this one but wednesday was their biggest one to date. I actuslly did it thst big because the ph was too low.

Bellaona

MissNoodle said:
Wasn't meaning to be negative, sorry if it came across that way.

Fry can be very delicate, anything can cause unexpected losses.

I would get tests that read all the parameters, including the subtle ones. Test the old water prior to changing it, test the new water before putting it in. See if there's any difference between any of the numbers.

Ive lost fry after water changes too. Adults were fine but suddenly one or two fry would drop dead. Its always possible to be something different by just a tiny amount, especially with fry that are potentially weaker (you never know the genetics if they were pregnant from the store).

Its really hard to keep fish keeping impersonal. We take things to heart when things go wrong, but sometimes its something out of our control
Its okay btw, it was mainly that one woman who told me to "get educated and think about my actions" like I'm a child and I haven't done months of research before I even attempted my first tank yet alone this one. And I was just like yes maybe I screwed up, but I need to save the babies dropping while I watch you can scold me later but it turned out not being what she thought anyway.

MissNoodle

Even experienced veterans still lose fry from time to time. I personally don't think its anything you did wrong, just really unfortunate luck. I had 10 molly fry born the first time, only 2 moved on to new homes. The rest died. A couple from water changes, a couple failed to thrive, one was eaten, and another from an ammonia spike after my power went out for a day. But my 10 platy fry have been bomb proof despite losing a couple adults from a nitrite spike. I have only lost one platy fry, but he didnt thrive and my danios ate him. I just had more born the other day. It happens like this sometimes. Now I gotta find homes for the older ones this month.

It *may* be a pH issue since there's a pH difference in both tanks, the change could have stressed them and made them weaker.

Id check the pH of the tap water next and move from there, if that's different too.

Top Bottom