Help! Baby Betta Is Sick!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by XxSavannahxX, Jul 20, 2017.

1. XxSavannahxX

XxSavannahxXNew MemberMember

Okay so 3 days ago I bought a baby girl veiltail from petco to add to my 10 gallon community tank with 2 guppies and 2 ghost shrimp. When I got her she was white with pastel purple and a pastel pink tail, and 2 days after her tail had turned almost red and she gained a lot of color so I thought she was doing good. However when I woke up this morning she didn't eat anything and I noticed a sphere like lump on her underside. I tried to do some research on it but I couldn't find anything! I'll post some pictures below so everyone can see. Please help I'm super worried about her! 1500568284220.jpg20170720_093257.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Give it time and clean+warm water. It looks like an anal prolapse. What have you been feeding?

The two times my fish had prolapses they resolved on their own.

3. OP
    OP
    XxSavannahxX

XxSavannahxXNew MemberMember

I've been putting the betta food in there but she doesn't seem to crazy about them and has mostly been eating tropical fish flakes

4. bopsalot

bopsalotWell Known MemberMember

Hi there! Not sure if that's an anal prolapse? Could be. But I see something similar going on near her gill in the last picture, too. I don't know what it is, though. Maybe a parasite or infection of some kind? Cysts? Tumors? Hopefully, someone who knows will come along soon. Until then, just make sure she's kept in clean, warm conditions and watch closely. Prazipro or a methylene blue bath might help, and are pretty gentle, but may just cause added stress since we don't know what's going on.

10 gallons is pretty small for a betta community. It's a female, she may be able to tolerate it, but it just seems like bettas do best in their own separate tank, versus 10 gallon communities, where there may not be enough space and hiding spots to keep a betta comfortable. Good luck. Sorry I can't be of more help!

5. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Ohhh she looks miserable poor thing. She needs to be put into a hospital tank and then you can watch her closer. A small 1-2 gallon, food safe container with a heater and an airstone will work.

First thing I would do is daily water changes for 4-5 days. See if she perks up. I wouldn't feed her at all for 2 full days, then only give her 1 pre-soaked pellet and see if it helps. Nothing dried to eat. It needs to be soft and easily digestible.

Second thing is I would add aquarium salt. 1tsp per gallon of water. Dissolved in a cup of tank water and added back to the tank very slowly. This will help with any skin irritation. Her gills looks really really inflamed.

Oh and btw, what are the water parameters in the 10g tank? How often do you change the water etc?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice