Help Asap

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Image1527230159.353539.jpg

my fish ive had for a year is dying i dont know why. his everything is fine no nitrate ammonia nitrite, heavily planted 3 gal. He always sinks now and he has always had that crook in his back. is he just dying of old age? i dont overfeed its like 3 pellets a day and i fast him like twice a week.

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Image1527231627.786684.jpg

i put him in a different planted tank just now because maybe it was the water. why does he sink like a rock though???

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a breeder net or something you can bring him closer to the surface with. @Hunter1 can you look at this poor bb for me?

Also, most fish with spinal deformities don’t live as long as normal healthy fish. Has his coloring changed?

zack 7 said:
i put him in a different planted tank just now because maybe it was the water. why does he sink like a rock though???
My heart is breaking for you and him. What’s his name?

Hello @Skye_marilyn could you look at this betta for me? Please?

zack 7

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
his name is Queazy because my mom got him from Walmart in really bad shape but we gave him a good tank. he used to jump but now he is less active and he cannot stay afloat and he is paler now

he is more pale now

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gypsy13 said:
Hello @Skye_marilyn could you look at this betta for me? Please?
Thank you so much for linking me, it looks very serious.

He seems to have a serious case of what looks like mycobacterium or tuberculosis, I’m sorry to say that without a call from a fish vet that can do a gill swab I can’t help you. He would need very precise treatment and I just don’t know enough to help. Since TB is zoonotic make sure not to let him come in contact with other fish or let any of his water drip into other tanks, also don’t put your hands in the tank is you have cuts, make sure to wear gloves and wash your hands. You may want to consider calling your local fish vet for euthanasia. Their are several websites online to help you locate one.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
zack 7 said:
Is he just dying of old age?
No, Unfortunately he is dying due to terrible water quality. It does seem like he has TB, the spinal deformity is a sure sign. I can’t tell from the images provided but does he have any blisters? As stated above, Euthanasia would be the best thing to do as he is in pain. There are many articles explaining it. The clove oil method is the most humane. I’m sorry it happened.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skye_marilyn said:
Thank you so much for linking me, it looks very serious.

He seems to have a serious case of what looks like mycobacterium or tuberculosis, I’m sorry to say that without a call from a fish vet that can do a gill swab I can’t help you. He would need very precise treatment and I just don’t know enough to help. Since TB is zoonotic make sure not to let him come in contact with other fish or let any of his water drip into other tanks, also don’t put your hands in the tank is you have cuts, make sure to wear gloves and wash your hands. You may want to consider calling your local fish vet for euthanasia. Their are several websites online to help you locate one.
That is hard to hear. I’m so so sorry Zack. This is never good news.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bryangar said:
No, Unfortunately he is dying due to terrible water quality. It does seem like he has TB, the spinal deformity is a sure sign. I can’t tell from the images provided but does he have any blisters? As stated above, Euthanasia would be the best thing to do as he is in pain. There are many articles explaining it. The clove oil method is the most humane. I’m sorry it happened.
Personally I prefer not to use the clove oil method as it can be extremely painful if the clove oil contains preservatives or alcohols. Clove oil also won’t dissolve in water so that is another issue, and clove oil is carcinogenic so dumping the used water into the toilet or your drain is not very good for the environment. It is a bit more of a pain but ideally having the fish “put to sleep” by a fish vet then burying in a plastic container deep in the ground is better.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Zack, I’m so sorry this happened. And unfortunately you now have two tanks that have been exposed to the tb. Do you have any other fish in these tanks?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Skye_marilyn said:
Personally I prefer not to use the clove oil method as it can be extremely painful if the clove oil contains preservatives or alcohols. Clove oil also won’t dissolve in water so that is another issue, and clove oil is carcinogenic so dumping the used water into the toilet or your drain is not very good for the environment. It is a bit more of a pain but ideally having the fish “put to sleep” by a fish vet then burying in a plastic container deep in the ground is better.
I'd heard folks do vodka.,. Is this humane ?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Vodka should be done only after they've been out under by clove oil because it would burn and hurt....
You could put him in a container of tank water then put him in your freezer... his metabolism would slow then he would go to sleep. I'm really sorry, I wish it had turned out differently for you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom