help asap extremly constipated fish

• Thread starter wonton55912
  • Start date

wonton55912

all of my fish have constipation I don't have any peas and one fish who can't learn well is choking on another betta pellet.

Algae Eater

Well Known
If you don't have any peas, I think fasting is about all you can do for the time being until you can get some. I've used a 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon with mild success, but peas work every time, but that is another option. If all of your fish are constipated, I would cut back on the amount of food you are giving them on a daily basis. To avoid choking, you can try soaking the betta pellets in water (or garlic) before feeding it to him. I hope everything turns out OK!

peacemaker92

Well Known
Great advice from Algae Eater. Hope your fish get well soon! Best of luck!

Prince Powder

Well Known
I'm sorry your fish aren't feeling well.

Great advice from Algae Eater. Fast your fish for a few days to let them clear out a bit. I personally don't feed peas, but I do feed Freeze Dried Daphnia once a week to keep my bettas clear. Daphnia works as a diuretic same as peas, if you have that you can use it in place of the peas. If they're really plugged up you should probably still fast for a day just to give them some time to digest what they can. I feed my bettas twice a day except on Daphnia day. On Daphnia day they are fed only at night. Daphnia day is the day before water change day in my house since I generally will have some supersized "gifts" that need to be taken care of. LOL!It is a good idea to make some sort of diuretic like peas or Daphnia part of your regular feeding routine. Just substituting one or the other in place of their regular meal once a week will keep them pretty regular. If this is a continuous issue you might be overfeeding so just cutting back on the food should stop the problems. Pellets and any freeze dried foods should be soaked before feeding. Both will expand so if the fish eat them dry then the food will expand in their bellies which could lead to constipation, especially if they are already being over fed.

Hope your fishies feel better soon!

wonton55912

Algae Eater said:
If you don't have any peas, I think fasting is about all you can do for the time being until you can get some. I've used a 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon with mild success, but peas work every time, but that is another option. If all of your fish are constipated, I would cut back on the amount of food you are giving them on a daily basis. To avoid choking, you can try soaking the betta pellets in water (or garlic) before feeding it to him. I hope everything turns out OK!
the guppy was choking shes in with my betta

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Wow! I haven't had bettas for a while, but I thought they didn't do well with other long finned fish. You must be very lucky.

My husband is an avid over-feeder. I have to intervene every now and then to be sure his goldfish remain healthy. Unfortunately, they won't touch peas, so I have no option other than fasting them.

Hope everything turns out ok!

wonton55912

Lucy

10:30 last night your fish were extremely constipated and as of 7:46am today, they aren't any more?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
have you been able to upgrade your tanks or return some fish yet? there's been so many issues I worry about your fin babies

wonton55912

I accedently fed freeze dried bloodworms without soaking. I have a 10gal and can't have more than 2 aquariums

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
If you're limited as to how many gallons (tanks) you can have, then you're really also limited as to the number of fish you can keep. Wanting to keep more fish doesn't mean you should. Bottom line is, it's not what we want, it's what our fish need.

wonton55912

Lucy said:
10:30 last night your fish were extremely constipated and as of 7:46am today, they aren't any more?
one fish still is

marina3

Prince Powder
Peas are not diuretics...are laxatives!!! But I know that is what you meant!!!hehehe

marina3

Awhhh....the eternal battle between what we WANT and what we really NEED (or CAN have)!!!...like shoes, purses, pets....
I tend to overfeed myself, so fasting once at week it has help my fish a lot!!

Algae Eater

Well Known
wonton55912 said:
the guppy was choking shes in with my betta
Sorry, I assumed it was a betta since you mentioned betta pellets, but I think the same would apply to any fish. Is she OK now?

wonton55912

yes shes fine she was breathing heavily for a few hours and bloated but shes fine now

Top Bottom