help asap extremly constipated fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by wonton55912, Mar 25, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

all of my fish have constipation i dont have any peas and one fish who cant learn well is choking on another betta pellet.

2. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

If you don't have any peas, I think fasting is about all you can do for the time being until you can get some. I've used a 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt per gallon with mild success, but peas work every time, but that is another option. If all of your fish are constipated, I would cut back on the amount of food you are giving them on a daily basis. To avoid choking, you can try soaking the betta pellets in water (or garlic) before feeding it to him. I hope everything turns out OK!

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Great advice from Algae Eater. Hope your fish get well soon! Best of luck! :)

4. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry your fish aren't feeling well.

Great advice from Algae Eater. Fast your fish for a few days to let them clear out a bit. I personally don't feed peas, but I do feed Freeze Dried Daphnia once a week to keep my bettas clear. Daphnia works as a diuretic same as peas, if you have that you can use it in place of the peas. If they're really plugged up you should probably still fast for a day just to give them some time to digest what they can. I feed my bettas twice a day except on Daphnia day. On Daphnia day they are fed only at night. Daphnia day is the day before water change day in my house since I generally will have some supersized "gifts" that need to be taken care of. LOL!It is a good idea to make some sort of diuretic like peas or Daphnia part of your regular feeding routine. Just substituting one or the other in place of their regular meal once a week will keep them pretty regular. If this is a continuous issue you might be overfeeding so just cutting back on the food should stop the problems. Pellets and any freeze dried foods should be soaked before feeding. Both will expand so if the fish eat them dry then the food will expand in their bellies which could lead to constipation, especially if they are already being over fed.

Hope your fishies feel better soon!

5. OP
    OP
    w

the guppy was choking shes in with my betta

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Wow! I haven't had bettas for a while, but I thought they didn't do well with other long finned fish. You must be very lucky.

My husband is an avid over-feeder. I have to intervene every now and then to be sure his goldfish remain healthy. Unfortunately, they won't touch peas, so I have no option other than fasting them.

Hope everything turns out ok!

7. OP
    OP
    w

8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

10:30 last night your fish were extremely constipated and as of 7:46am today, they aren't any more?

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

have you been able to upgrade your tanks or return some fish yet? theres been so many issues I worry about your fin babies :(

10. OP
    OP
    w

i accedently fed freeze dried bloodworms without soaking. i have a 10gal and cant have more than 2 aquariums

11. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

If you're limited as to how many gallons (tanks) you can have, then you're really also limited as to the number of fish you can keep. Wanting to keep more fish doesn't mean you should. Bottom line is, it's not what we want, it's what our fish need. ;)

12. OP
    OP
    w

one fish still is

13. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Prince Powder
    Peas are not diuretics...are laxatives!!! :;smack But I know that is what you meant!!!hehehe

14. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Awhhh....the eternal battle between what we WANT and what we really NEED (or CAN have)!!!...like shoes, purses, pets....:;swls
    I tend to overfeed myself, so fasting once at week it has help my fish a lot!!

15. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I assumed it was a betta since you mentioned betta pellets, but I think the same would apply to any fish. Is she OK now?

16. OP
    OP
    w

yes shes fine she was breathing heavily for a few hours and bloated but shes fine now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice