Help, are they going to hurt themselves?

1. morgana Initiate Member

My bettas have just moved into their new hexagon divided tank, complete with a black light for warmth and floating plants. I don't have much stuff at the bottom for them to hide in, because I don't want to crowd them. They have never been so close to each other and they now spend a great deal of time flaring at each other and swimming aggressively. I just wonder if tehy will ever calm down and I'm afraid they will hurt themselves somehow. I guess I can get more plants, but I don't know what else to do. I live in an RV and space is at a premium. Any suggestions that I might be able to actually do? Getting six 10 gallon tanks is not in the cards.

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

You cannot have more than ONE male Betta in any aquarium or they will fight to the death. If you can get some smaller containers for dividing them up until you can find other homes for them either with yourself or see if you can return them for other more compatible fish. I am so sorry because I know how hard it is to give up a fish you care for but they will kill each other if you don't seperate them.

Rose :(

3. Cichlidxorz Initiate Member

Chickadee, i beleive that u adressed the question from a different stand point of what morgana was asking. He was wondering if his 6 bettas in a Divided tank will hurt/tire themselves out from constant flaring at eachother.
    This was more of the question that morgana was asking.

I don't really know much about bettas,
    Cichlidxorz

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

They will still have to have some time without being able to see each other because flaring for a long period of time stresses them and can lead to death of them or at the very least serious illness due to stress. They should not be allowed to flare for more than 10 minutes at a time. It is a beautiful sight to see a Betta in full flare but causes them to be stressed.

Rose
    :)

5. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

If you could find some solid color plastic to use to cover the dividers part of the time and give them a rest, it should give them enough relief that they will be okay right where they are. They just need to be watched so they don't get to flaring and being agitated all the time because it will affect their immune systems and they will be much more susceptible to disease and they will also possibly ram themselves against the clear dividers to try to get to one another. The tank will work, you will just have to find an artificial way to seperate them. I'm having a little trouble "seeing" what your tank looks like so I am hoping I'm not asking the impossible.

I hope this situation works out all right.

Rose
    :)

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah I would advise trying to keep their visibility to a minimum so they dont get too stressed out. Even if it comes down to sticking a sheet of cellophane or an ice cream lid on to the dividers to stop them seeing each other. You have to think of it in the way that you might feel if someone had broken into your house and you were trying to protect yourself.. 24/7! Not fun :(