Help! Are these really nerite snails? What kind of snails did I buy?

StaceyMae

Reaction score
HI there,

I ordered 2 nerite snails for my planted, freshwater, 20 gallon high at my lfs. When I finally got them, I noticed they didnt look like the typical nerite snails that you find on google s but they come in such a large variety, I didnt question it at first. However, I noticed I suddenly have at least 10 snail babies crawling around after about a week. I want to make sure these are actually nerite snails and not pond snails or something! I don't want to end up with an infestation. I really didnt think eggs would hatch lol. I'll attach s and hopefully someone can tell me what they are and if I need to worry at all.
20200120_155013.jpg
20200120_155013.jpg
20200120_154906.jpg

nobettasinbowls

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a nerite. At least, not any that I have ever seen. Here is a seller of tons of different types of nerite, he doesn't look like any of them.

My top guesses are giant pond snail, japanese trap door, or mystery snail maybe?

Mystery Snail Colors

The link above has several charts of mystery snail colors.

The shell is more pointy though then typical mystery snails. Very interesting snail. Definitely not a nerite if there are babies though.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm no kind of expert, but the shell certainly doesn't look like the nerites I've seen. How large is it? It's difficult to tell from the photos.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's often noted that Nerite Snails will not reproduce in fresh water. Because Nerites need brackish water to reproduce successfully, they will not take over a fresh water tank like many other snails do

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
The shell shape looks like a Japanese Trapdoor snail. I'm a far cry from an expert though.

OP
S

StaceyMae

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
I'm no kind of expert, but the shell certainly doesn't look like the nerites I've seen. How large is it? It's difficult to tell from the photos.
The snail isn't large or particularly small, really. I'd say about the size of a dime is the size of its body when it is stuck to the glass. And its shell is about a half inch long maybe.

Dennis57 said:
It's often noted that Nerite Snails will not reproduce in fresh water. Because Nerites need brackish water to reproduce successfully, they will not take over a fresh water tank like many other snails do
Yeah, that is why I wanted to post about this and get opinions. I heard it is extremely rare for larvae to survive that do hatch in freshwater. :(

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StaceyMae said:
The snail isn't large or particularly small, really. I'd say about the size of a dime is the size of its body when it is stuck to the glass. And its shell is about a half inch long maybe.
Again I'm no expert, but the nerites I'm familiar with have dome shaped shells, not spiral. Couple that with the fact that they have live offspring I think we can safely say that whatever they are, they aren't nerites.

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’m going to guess that’s not a nerite. The shell, the body shape, and the little antennas don’t match any nerite I’ve seen or owned.

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Definitely not a nerite. I’d say it looks like a Japanese Trapdoor Snail. They’re livebreeders but shouldn’t overpopulate your tank too quickly.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thirding the japanese trapdoor, they can get a little large (biggest one i've personally seen was larger than a mystery snail, mainly because the shell spiral extends further from the body than mysteries), they can pop out a lot of babies at a time, but you can always dispose of the resulting offspring or even sell them.

CrazyCatChick

Reaction score
I agree that it is likely a Trapdoor snail. Definitely not a nerite or a mystery snail. I do not have any experience with trapdoor snails but have seen some that are absolutely beautiful! Sometimes they develop (or possibly are born with) aqua markings on their shells!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom