(Help) Aquarium lover in need of some advice (Nerite Snail problem)

Tanken

Hello! I’ve had simple tanks around the house for years and have always loved them, but lately I have been trying to jump into live plants, aquascaping and (intentional) snails. I have three nerites currently that have been in quarantine for almost 3 weeks with daily water changes and very close care. They’ve consistently been very active and explore the quarantine tank, pick at whatever foods I give them and climb all over each other. But last night I noticed this white thing coming out of the side of my Zebra Nerite (I’ll attach photos). I’ve never seen it before and I’m scare it could be something bad that could harm the little snail or one of the other two in the quarantine tank. It does seem to move a little, and when I tried to reposition the tank to get a better photo (the one from the underside) the white thing retracted into the shell. I’m very nervous and feeling quite overwhelmed at the idea of not knowing how to make sure/ actually make the little snail safe if it is in fact dangerous. Any and all advice would be so so greatly appreciated, I’m really desperate here!

Attachments

• 385E97C9-0B49-4F83-8021-8DD10C8D2054.jpeg
    385E97C9-0B49-4F83-8021-8DD10C8D2054.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 638BEC0C-C82E-4CE1-B3AC-4558DBDE2026.jpeg
    638BEC0C-C82E-4CE1-B3AC-4558DBDE2026.jpeg
    599.5 KB · Views: 22
  • C1371B3D-676C-45D3-841E-CA226112F7A4.png
    C1371B3D-676C-45D3-841E-CA226112F7A4.png
    866.3 KB · Views: 22

Bentley

Cute snails! It’s a little hard to see from the photos (I know, it’s really hard to get a photo in an aquarium!), but could it be his/her tentacles?

AggressiveAquatics

Do you have any algae in there? Nerites usually don’t pick at anything but algae and biofilm so if there isn’t any in there that could just be white poop indicating he’s hungry

Tanken

Cute snails! It’s a little hard to see from the photos (I know, it’s really hard to get a photo in an aquarium!), but could it be his/her tentacles?
I’m sorry I wish I could get a better photo without the white thing retracting!! I unfortunately don’t think it’s a tentacle, only because (it’s hard to see in the photo especially) but those are out as well as the white thing. :/
Do you have any algae in there? Nerites usually don’t pick at anything but algae and biofilm so if there isn’t any in there that could just be white poop indicating he’s hungry
He is in a freshly cleaned smaller quarantine tank so I could get the photos and keep him form infecting the others if it was something dangerous (also to better see what this thing is). There’s no algae unfortunately but he’s seemed to pick a lot at some of the wafers and veggie stuff I throw in. I’d love it if this was as simple as a hunger poop!! Would that be able to “retract” though?

Deku-Cory

That's very likely his reproductive organ. I saw that one one of my Nerites, and after googling it, that's the most likely answer I found. So yes, your snail caused all this worry because he couldn't keep it in his pants- or should I say under his shell!

Tanken

That's very likely his reproductive organ. I saw that one one of my Nerites, and after googling it, that's the most likely answer I found. So yes, your snail caused all this worry because he couldn't keep it in his pants- or should I say under his shell!
I would be so relieved (odd to say) if this was the case!!!! But aren’t the reproductive organs on the right side for nerites?

86 ssinit

It’s normal. Think it’s called a syphon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Glassycat
29 Gallon Tank Hello Fishlore Folks
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Rosemoss