Help!!! Anyone Know What These Are ?

Discussion in 'Photos' started by TheManGaz, Apr 14, 2018.

1. TheManGaz

TheManGaz New Member Member

Hi

Thanks for stopping to take a look.

While doing a water change today, I noticed these little things scampering up the glass away from the water line... they are 2ish mms long... can anyone please tell me what they are and if I need to deal with them and how? :nailbiting:

upload_2018-4-14_21-55-32.png

upload_2018-4-14_21-56-6.png
    Thanks
    Gary

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No idea what those are, but if they were in my tank, I'd get rid of them. But I'm also creeped out by terrestrial bugs, so... Likely harmless to your and your pets.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe scuds? I've never personally had them so I'm not sure...

4. TexasDomer

Scuds live in the water though, right? These are out, they look much larger, and they look like insects to me.

5. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Well Known Member Member

Definitely not scuds.

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Oh dang my bad I didn't read close enough... Hm, they kind of resemble aphids, but I don't think those like water. The body shape is reminiscent of assassin or kissing bugs, but those get larger.
    Is the color more gray or brown?

7. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I’m pretty good with insect taxonomy, and I just can’t get enough detail from the pics to nail down what order of insecta for certain. If u can get better resolution, I’ll help if I can.
    And bear in mind I’m coming at this from still being pretty new to the fish hobby, so there may be pros who’ve seen these before and don’t have to figure out what type to know what they are.

8. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

They are likely springtails and if so do no harm. They feed on organic matter (scum) on the water surface and edges. Most people don't notice them.

9. TexasDomer

I think they're too big to be springtails - the one I have are much tinier than these in the pics.

10. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

But he said they are 2mm. Thats about right for springtails.

I think you got scared by the creepy crawly pic that was enlarged LOL!

11. OP
    OP
    TheManGaz

TheManGaz New Member Member

Thanks for all the replies... I'll try to get some better pics of them. Thanks again. :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice