help, any rat experts???

1. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

okay, i found a tumor on my female rat (2 years old) about 10 weeks ago, on her right underarm. i haven't talk to a vet because of the expense. now, the tumor has tripled in size, being larger than a golf ball and looks purple. she now has a second one on the right of her behind.

she eats, drinks and doesn't seem to be in pain, but moving around has proved to be difficult and her tumor prevents her from squeezing into tight spaces. I think the tumor may be infected because it does look black-redish-purple. I'm not sure if i should euthanize her or not, because she is not in pain. but it does look pretty bad.

She is world to me, but i don't know what to do.

any help would be appreciated.

thnx

2. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

oh you poor thing :( Years ago I had one that had a lump as well, same spot, and when we took her to the vet they recommended putting her down, because it was interfering with her lungs,very very sad day :( My Girl was about 5 years old,and was in some pain moving about :( But you have to decide what's best in your situation...your in my thoughts

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BadWolf. :animal0068: I have moved your thread to "our other pets/rodents" section of the forum to help you to get more responses.

I'm so sorry your pet is ill. Do whatever your heart tells you to do :)
    Best wishes!
    Ken

4. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Oh, I can relate to your pain, I had a hairless rat and he got a small tumor oh his side but I thought I should just let it go. Well he ended up scratching a whole in his side at the tumor spot and it got infected so we took him to the vet and they put him down :(

5. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

i don't know what to do cause she's not in pain, she just doesn't look healthy.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know anything about rats, i just want to offer my compassion and support.

7. crazedACD Member Member

Anyway you can find a vet that will take payments? Do you have a regular vet for any other pets...maybe you can talk to them? If she is doing well otherwise, I would recommend getting the tumors removed for her comfort. Otherwise...if it starts seeming to cause discomfort or impacts her mobility, I would probably consider euthanizing.. They can't really tell you they are in pain, and I've known animals (and people) that continue to eat and go about their day despite the fact you know they must be in pain.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it's never easy :(. ((Hugs))

8. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

my other rat got badly injured about 19 months ago, we took her to a vet and it cost $40 for the check up and $40 for the medicine that did nothing. being only 13, i have no money. she is oldish, being 2, and i'm not sure if an opperation can be done. the expense is what worries be most.

if i go to the vets randomly, would they charge me?

thnx

9. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, any vet is going to charge you. $40 is VERY cheap, the vet I worked for it was $75 for a visit alone. When you take on a pet, you take on the responsibilities to care for that animal no matter what. That means taking it to the vets when it is sick - just as you would a child. The rat needs to see a vet asap, or no, there really isn't going to be much hope for it. You need to catch a disease before it spreads.

10. curly.haze Member Member

Hi There

I had an albino with a lump under his arm, he seemed fine for ages but he started looking sorry for himself and his coat looked dull and dry so it was taking some toll on him. We took him to the vet who suggested it was put down when he started to look bad. She said if you can move the lump round freely it is most likely a cist but if it doesnt move it would be a tumour.
    For the sake of the rat i would see your vet because rats are very good at hiding the fact that they are in pain

hope that helps

Haze