Help..... any information and advise about Ciclids?

fishface007
ok id lik to start a ciclid tank... kol ,but is ther any specific thingz ill need or want?

capekate
HI Fishface,
cichlid tanks are kewl! ;D Whether they are africans or south american types.
What I usually do when I want to get a new fish, I go to the fish specific topics and read up on all the posts there. You will usually find all the answers you need there. And from there you can ask specific questions.
Good luck with your new tank! ;D

~ kate

fishface007
yea thanx, I only hav a green terror, texas ciclid, right now, cauz he ate everythin else! so yea.. kol thanx

COBettaCouple
Check the species that you're thinking of getting at:

Generally you would look at rocks/caves along with plants and maybe a sand substrata with cichlids. Compatibility with other species is HUGE if you're going to have more than 1 species in there. Also, be sure the water conditions needed are the same for all fish in the tank.

Do you have hard or soft water there?

fishface007
weez got hard water...

fishface007
hey Cobettacouple, would havin a 10 gallon tank be a problem with cichlidz?

Trpimp147
ehhh they suggested 30gal or more for a cichlid tank. I had 4 in a 10 gal and they all were about and inch long and I had a few die/killed.... I wouldnt suggest it. but petco sells 55gal tank set w/filter lights and some decor for like $129 usd and would be an easy set up from there with other filters and lighting and such.

COBettaCouple
For cichlids, a 30 gallon is minimum and at that size, you can't fit very many. They mostly get to 6" or more and need space.

Trpimp147
mine are in a 75 gal and I have 11 african cichlids and 2 large plecos. just enought space I believe for now I have a bigg enought filter for now I plan on buying another one though just once I get my car paid down and such.

fishface007
all right well what fish do yall suggest for a 10 gallon tank?
and atleast semi-aggressive?

susitna-flower
:;z fishface, I believe this was well covered in your other post.

In that one dwarf puffers were suggested. I think the problem is you ALREADY have a green terror, who has eaten everything else!

You need a bigger tank if you are going to keep what you already have and want to add to it.

Sabi
I can think of fish that will fit in a 10gal but I can't think of aggressive ones. Ther are a few fish that can fit in a 10gal and those are onthe smallish side, aggressive ones are generally bigger.

martynmarion
trpimp-

What kind of african cichlids do you have in your 75?

Trpimp147
2 acie m/f ahlI m/f autruas (sorry for the spelling) kenyI m/f (I think) one zebra and two others I don't know what they are just really felt like looking them up

fishface007
ok could I put a single betta wit gourmiz?

Sabi
That, I believe is like putting two male bettas together. Which would mean, no.

fishface007
didnt think so but hey y not ask right!?

another question if I hav one one inch cichlid will gourmiz be ok with him if there twice hiz size?

COBettaCouple
The Cichlid will grow, 6" or more most likely.. then the Gourami would stand a good chance of being killed.

didnt think so but hey y not ask right!?

another question if I hav one one inch cichlid will gourmiz be ok with him if there twice hiz size?

fishface007
ok kol thanx ill giv that a lot of thought and decide thanx ppl!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SaveThemAll1
  • DKChowan
  • pH
2 3 4
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Top Bottom