HELP!! ANY advice AT ALL please

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisecrackerz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I ended up with this thing that I THINK is a lightning whelk, or a knobbled whelk (long story). It is small and white with purple sort of stripey things. I have live sand, and water from where he was found (like I said, long story). I do not know ANYTHING about salt water tanks, much less how to make this small creature happy. All I can find on line is pricing for if I wanted to buy another one. What do I feed him? How fast will he grow? How hard does the water need to be so his shell will be healthy? How salty the water? What about temperature (they migrate, so do I need to vary it based on season)? please help. he is in a bucket right now, soon to be moved into a small tank with the same water and sand, but I'm sure that's not going to be good enough; anything anybody can tell me about how to help this poor guy, or even where to find info about him as a critter would be amazing. I'll post pictures in the identify forum soon, and then yall can help me figure out exactly what he is.

Last edited:
OP
wisecrackerz

wisecrackerz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
please help with my salt water situation

I posted this same post in salt water inverts, but it also fits under this, and I need all the help I can get.
I ended up with this thing that I THINK is a lightning whelk or a knobbled whelk (long story). It is small (maybe the length of my thumb from tip to tip) and white with purple sort of stripey things. I have live sand, and water from where he was found (like I said, long story). I do not know ANYTHING about salt water tanks, much less how to make this small creature happy. All I can find on line is pricing for if I wanted to buy another one, which I do not, as supposedly they get gigantic. What do I feed him? How fast will he grow? How hard does the water need to be so his shell will be healthy? How salty should the water be? Will he be sad without waves or current? What about temperature (they migrate, so do I need to vary it based on season)? please help. he is in a bucket right now, soon to be moved into a small tank with the same water and sand, but I'm sure that's not going to be good enough; anything anybody can tell me about how to help this poor guy, or even where to find info about him as a critter, would be amazing. I'll post pictures in the identify forum soon, and then yall can help me figure out exactly what he is, but for now, please help with anything you can. bring this post to the attention of anybody with lots of salt water experience, and to people who know how to get hunting carnivores to eat dead food. and to somebody who can tell me what the heck I am doing.

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi
Your threads have been merged.
It's only necessary to start one thread for a topic. It makes it less confusing for you and the members who might be able to help you.

I hope one of our salty members can give you a hand.

Good luck!

OP
wisecrackerz

wisecrackerz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
welkish thing maybe?

I have a whelk thing. he is about as long as my thumb, and looks kind of like the lower one in the above picture (a knobbled whelk), but also kind of like the one on the bottom right of this picture (a lightning whelk). White with purplish and pinkish and orangish vertical stripes that only go part of the way down his body. spends most of his time buried in the sand.

he was found (somebody was going to rip him out of his shell so they could keep it, so I took him) off the ocean side coast, maybe 45 min north of Kill Devil Hills, NC, after a big storm. I'll have pics of him up later, but any ideas on how to figure out what he is would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom