Help! Angels And Firemouth Hanging Around The Top Of The Tank Help

1. Morley24 Member Member

Hi guys,
    Having a bit of an issue with my 2 angels and my new firemouth. Came home today to find the three of them hanging around the top left corner of the tank with there mouths up near the surface.
    I've had the angels about 2 months or so with no issues, the firemouth ive had about a week and I've had no problem until now.
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - .25
    Nitrate - 0
    PH - 6.4

Anybody got any ideas?
    TIA

a4cc5777f3820b4d735e58f22e2689b4.jpg

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like you may have lost your cycle. I would dose Prime for the whole tank volume first.

3. Morley24 Member Member

Ok thank you! I'm guessing that this is a bad thing, how easy is it to get my cycle back? How bad is this for my fish?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What is the pH out of your tap? Has it always been that low? The low pH is probably the reason why your cycle crashed because the bacteria that eat the fish wastes prefer slightly higher pH. Try to get your KH reading as well.

5. yukondog Well Known Member Member

The first thing I would do is about a 50% W/C and see if that helps, not sure if it will but I try to not add any chems. if I don't need to.

6. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

Nitrite poisoning. Dose with prime, up to 5 times the regular amount as it is an emergency. Also do a big water change and monitor their condition. Keep testing the water.

7. Morley24 Member Member

I did a 25% water change yesterday. The PH from our tap is around 7, how can I get this back up? The rest of my fish are all fine, just these 3

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I suspect that your KH is low. The nitrogen cycle uses it up which can lead to a pH crash. You may need to add a mineral supplement to your water or crushed coral or limestone or similar.

9. Morley24 Member Member

Well all my fish are slowly dying off one by one :( one angel has gone, one Cory and my new Firemouth :( KH is at 5. Water has now gone cloudy too but my nitrites are at 0.
    I've done a big water change today but nothing's working :(

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What's your pH now? How big are the water changes you're doing and how often are you doing them?

11. Morley24 Member Member

PH is up to 6.8, I'm doing around a 25% water change every other day at the minute

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Make sure to dose Prime every day to neutralize the ammonia. At low pH it's in the form of ammonium but as the pH rises it will convert to ammonia and can harm your fish.

13. Manjit Member Member

i would say to use naturall things like crushed shells to raise your ph

14. Morley24 Member Member

Ok, I'll carry on using prime each day. My ammonia had raised to .5 today from 0 yesterday? Should I do another water change today?

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are your nitrites? If ammonia + nitrites is less than 1ppm than you don't need to do a water change, just dose with Prime. If it's higher than do a water change and add Prime.