Help Ammonia And Ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Dante D'Angelo, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Dante D'Angelo

Dante D'Angelo New Member Member

Hi everyone,

Problem:
    I am new to aquariums and have a big issue. A while ago ammonia spiked and I lost a few fish so I've been treating it with beneficial bacteria and daily 40% water changes. While treating this, fish developed ich. Obviously the problem is that ich treatment kills beneficial bacteria. So I've been Continuing to add bacteria (more than usual because of the treatment for ich) as well as the water changes daily.

Questions:
    Should I not change the water as much or should I change it more?

Is there anything else I can do?

Tank info:
    Temp: 78 (automatic heater and temp gauge)
    Ph: 7.2
    Ammonia level: .5-1.0 currently (was 2.0)
    Plants: two live plants (planted on substrate)
    Rocks: yes
    Tank size: 10 gal.
    Filter: rated to 20 gal
    Food: blood worms, bottom feeder pellets

Fish:
    All tetra died of ich
    Two Amano shrimp
    One gold dojo loach
    One betta
    Four swordtail (one male three female)

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Ich treatments should not kill your bacteria. A lot of them can kill your shrimp however. What treatment are you using?
    You can also go the natural route and increase the heat (and add salt) - or do that in addition to whatever treatment you are using.

Water changes will help with the ich as it will keep ammonia down and the fresh clean water is important for getting rid of the ich as well. You should try to get that ammonia to 0.25 or less ASAP, even if that means a huge water change, or multiple changes a day. The odds of your fish recovering from ich while also dealing with ammonia are slim. You could also get from Seachem prime to use as a water conditioner, it will detox that ammonia and help you out there as well. It detoxes for 24-48 hours, up to 1ppm so with daily water changes you can manage your ammonia as well :D

3. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

You can just use ParaGuard for ICH, it's a daily dose so it doesn't matter if you change your water.
    Don't do heat treatment, it stresses them out even more.

ParaGuard by Seachem is awesome for ICH.
    Edit: start with dosing half the amount recommended, because of your Loach.
    It'll still work, I used half on mine.

4. OP
    OP
    Dante D'Angelo

Thanks! Have you noticed that it causes an ammonia spike? Should I continue to add lots of beneficial bacteria? Also I have (use) Aqueon Water Conditioner, Terta Safe Start Plus Concentrated Aquarium Bacteria, and am using Microre Lift Herbatana 100% Natural Expellant for Parasitic Diseases for the ICH if any one was curious.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

You can use it while you're still trying to cycle, just add it after your daily WC.
    And No, ParaGuard does not cause an ammonia spike, it had no affect on my filter and ammonia tested 0.0ppm.

I tested several times daily the first 3 days because I was paranoid

Edit: Yes continue adding a cap full of beneficial bacteria after every WC if you're still cycling. But give it about 30 mins or an hour until after you dechlorinate/add meds.

6. OP
    OP
    Dante D'Angelo

Sounds Good! My girlfriend and I own the tank together so we've each done our own bits of research. She said that the medicine will kill the bacteria, so I'm going to double check that now because nowhere on the bottle of medicine does it say it kills bacteria...

7. OP
    OP
    Dante D'Angelo

So more water changes? Will that affect the fish by stress or pressure? They don't get freaked out by daily water changes, but I'm worried that doing multiple a day will freak them out as the most I've done in a day was two. Also should I go with 33%, 50%, or 80% water changes?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice