HELP!!! ALL my guppies are dying and it's not ich!!!

allamericangirl

Can someone tell me what to do? I have 3 fry now that have died over a period of three days. When I saw that two had died, I took the others out and put them in another tank thinking that the tank needed to be cleaned and the filter changed. But now, another one is floating on the top but is not dead. I know this is not ich because there is nothing on them and they aren't rubbing against anything. If I had never seen them before, I would never be able to tell whether they are sick or not. Please help me!!!

LyndaB

I'm sorry for your loss.

What are your readings: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?

And which tank is this in? You reference a few tanks. Are they all cycled?

allamericangirl

The one that their in now is not cycled because I call it my 'overnight' tank. I put them in it yesterday and I am cleaning their tank tonight. I also just cleaned it not to long ago and just recently changed the filter (I think early last week). Everything is normal.

LyndaB

Could you give us your exact readings, please? It really does help.

If you changed out the filter entirely, it could be you're going through a mini-cycle (not enough bb) and the fry aren't strong enough to survive the change in water parameters.

allamericangirl

I don't have the actual ratings because this tank is smaller than my big one in my room. but there were only 6 or 7 in there. I also just recently gave away two to a friend. And the fry are older. They are at least 4 months old.

LyndaB

I'm very confused. Knowing your readings doesn't have anything to do with you giving away your fish.

Do you test your water parameters?

What size (gallons) is the tank that is having the problem? Do you have readings for that particular tank?

allamericangirl

I don't with this one, I do the other one. The tank is a 3 gal. and no.

allamericangirl

would it just be ok if I put ich and other parasite medicine in the tank and see if that works?

LyndaB

You really shouldn't medicate without knowing what you're medicating for. If it's ich, most people will tell you not to medicate at all. Most of us prefer to raise the temperature to about 86, add an air stone and keep the water as clean as possible.

However, if you don't ever test this water, it could be ammonia poisoning or something else that we can't grasp right away because of the lack of testing. Could you test the water now?

Meenu

Three gallons isn't enough to house even one guppy, let alone several.

Since you test the water in your other tank, you have the kit to do the tests. Could you please test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels for this tank and post them? I understand that you are telling Lynda you don't regularly test this tank, but could you right now?

LyndaB

How are you making out?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom