Help all my cichlids are dying!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by debbie66151, Jun 23, 2016.

1. debbie66151

debbie66151 Valued Member Member

Yesterday they were fine. Established tank. In it I have 2 blue acais both are dead now. 2 convicts still alive. I lost 4 mooris I think that's what there called they also died. All this happened within an hour.my parameters are as follows. pH 7.0 ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 can't test nitrates. Tank is a 30 gallon. They don't have any diseases or look sick. What could be happening? I did do a water change yesterday and everything was fine after that. Any ideas of what could be happening?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Can't test nitrates? And was anything out of the ordinary introduced to the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    debbie66151

No nothing new. I'm so confused right now this is very strange.

4. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

30 gallon is too small for 8 cichlid unless they are juveniles. 55 or larger is recommended.

If 6/8 fish died in an hour i would ask you if you used tap conditioner. Since your ammonia is 0 that's out of question. How long have you owned them? What do you feed them?

5. OP
    OP
    debbie66151

Ive had them for about 6 months now.i feed them frozen cichlid food and flakes and broccoli and peas. They love there veggies!

6. OP
    OP
    debbie66151

And I have well water that has no chlorine but I still treat with water conditioner

7. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

It sounds like you're doing right, i have no idea :(

Some residual debris from handling? Soap, food, cleaner products? I would do a few huge water changes. As much as you can remove at a time. Sounds like something IN the water and hopefully not the water itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice