Help! Algae!!

Frobins

Reaction score
So I recently went on a 10 day vacation, 2 weeks before I left I set up my 55 gallon planted. I was planning on adding fish when I returned from the trip, but when I returned the walls of the aquarium were covered in algae (most likely the light was on too long(9 hrs/day)). What should I do?!?

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just scrape it off with an algae scrubber.
Agreed. When you're doing a water change, and the water level is down and algae is exposed. Do it then rather then when the tank is full so that the algae doesn't float off into the water but rather stays on your sponge.
Another option is to get algae-eating snails.

Frobins

Reaction score
Agreed. When you're doing a water change, and the water level is down and algae is exposed. Do it then rather then when the tank is full so that the algae doesn't float off into the water but rather stays on your sponge.
Another option is to get algae-eating snails.
So, I did as suggested and it worked perfectly, well almost. I don't know if I should be concerned or not, but usually when I rub algae off, it sticks to the sponge. Today when I did it, it almost dissolved in the water forming clouds of green. Is that normal? Should I be concerned?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom