Help! Algae now unclear water

1. JenniferAlicia87 Initiate Member

Thanks for any advice that may come!

Anyways,
    I just bought a 37 gallon rectangular aquarium set up that came with the bio wheel system.
    I have had it set up for a little over a month. I had someone watching my home and during that time my tank went out of control! First the algae took over. I am assuming because my two original Angel fish fought and killed one another (fish remains not fully cleaned maybe?), then once I got home I had that mostly under control in two days. We did a water change scrubbed what we could, changed the filter (carbon and blue) then bought our plecos. After that we were still not back to 100% I added gravel for my new cichlid (so he can move it around and play with it) since then my tank is not "cloudy" per say, but it is not clear.
    What should my next step be?
    Please help it is driving me crazy! My husband added a small amount of Algae killer before the change and also cloudy water fixer or something, none of which helped and is now no longer in the tank ( thank goodness)

- Jenn

2. namehater Well Known Member Member

im guessing that your tank isnt fully cycled, do you have a freshwater test kit?

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!!

im sorry for all your problems :(

what color is your algae? brown algae is diatoms and very common for tanks under a year old..it goes away in time....changing your filter will do more harm than good..thats where most of your beneficial bacteria live..you only need to rinse it out in a bucket of water removed from the tank, every few months..never change it out until its totally falling apart...

some algae causes are overstocked tanks, over feeding, too much light wattage for the size tank you have, or natural sunlight hitting the tank....

what type of plecos and cichlid do you have? do you know your readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

sounds like your tank isnt cycled as its so new and might be experiencing a bacteria bloom....(cloudy water)

hope things get better soon!!!!

4. JenniferAlicia87 Initiate Member

The algae is green, not brown. My cichlid is a Blood Parrot and my Plecos are high fin.
    Everyone is under 3" most are 2" or under. There are 7 fish total. The cory cat is under 1".

There is no natural sunlight hitting the tank and I only feed them a small amount twice a day which is always finished within a minute or two after the feeding.

The lights came with the tank everything came together. Its a taller 37 gallon with 2 lights 1 bio wheel a size h filter and two water blowers with the wheel. There are no real plants but about 2" or so of gravel and 2 structures and a fake plant.
    I have no clue my levels, is that important? If I get one and find out something is out of wack is it fixable or will it have to play itself out?

Thanks!

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm thats an important link for you to read...its the entire basis of any fishkeeping..and YES its very very important to know where your levels are at all times...when its "out of wack" its your job to fix it so the fish wont die from ammonia/nitrite poisoning...

size of fish dont always matter but their waste does..parrots and plecs make a ton of poo which can throw your tank all over the place....

i still think the tank needs to be cycled and that link will explain it all..good luck!

6. JenniferAlicia87 Initiate Member

SO my tank is a bit out of wack!
    The test kit I bought suggests adding something for each issue i.e. alkalinity, hardiness, and pH. Surprisingly my nitrates and nitrites are good.

What is the best way to fix each of these issue?
    Are the store chemical additives the best way?

7. namehater Well Known Member Member

store bought chemicals should be your last ditch effort. what exactly are the issues? theres a natural way to fix everything...