20 Gallon Tank Help, algae bloom cycle finished?

yaboy2021

Hello so I’ve had my 20 gallon long tank running now for a month haven’t changed the filiter but I’ve done 50% water changes here and there with 1 glofish danio in the tank (lost 2 during this month) anyway I noticed my tank experienced an algae boom so I tested the water and it showed everything was 0. Does this mean I can maybe buy more danios and add them to the tank? Please help so confused. I was attempting a fish in cycle and I lose two danios and have one that is large and healthy who eats regularly the rest were small but the water test say everything is 0. I also have a 2 large mystery snails and a dozen small ones from eggs from my old tank that are growing
Would it be okay to tank out all my tank decorations and clean them with just hot water and attempt to vacuum inside the tank and clean the glass with the sponge wand
Could it be possible that I have 5ppm of nitrates in my tank!? Meaning my tank is good

mattgirl

Your nitrate tube doesn't look completely yellow to me. Maybe it does to you. If it is very slightly orange then I would say yes, the cycle is done and it is safe to start slowly stocking this tank. Just add a couple of fish at a time. Keep an eye on the ammonia level. If you still aren't seeing any after a week you can add a couple more. You can add more each time but if you want to totally avoid an ammonia spike, add them slowly.

yaboy2021

mattgirl said:
Your nitrate tube doesn't look completely yellow to me. Maybe it does to you. If it is very slightly orange then I would say yes, the cycle is done and it is safe to start slowly stocking this tank. Just add a couple of fish at a time. Keep an eye on the ammonia level. If you still aren't seeing any after a week you can add a couple more. You can add more each time but if you want to totally avoid an ammonia spike, add them slowly.
should I clean everything in the mean time and make the tank clean? I’ll wait a week and see how things progress and then get two more to add
yaboy2021 said:
should I clean everything in the mean time and make the tank clean? I’ll wait a week and see how things progress and then get two more to add
also if I experience an ammonia spike what should I do?
yaboy2021 said:
Hello so I’ve had my 20 gallon long tank running now for a month haven’t changed the filiter but I’ve done 50% water changes here and there with 1 glofish danio in the tank (lost 2 during this month) anyway I noticed my tank experienced an algae boom so I tested the water and it showed everything was 0. Does this mean I can maybe buy more danios and add them to the tank? Please help so confused. I was attempting a fish in cycle and I lose two danios and have one that is large and healthy who eats regularly the rest were small but the water test say everything is 0. I also have a 2 large mystery snails and a dozen small ones from eggs from my old tank that are growing
Would it be okay to tank out all my tank decorations and clean them with just hot water and attempt to vacuum inside the tank and clean the glass with the sponge wand
Could it be possible that I have 5ppm of nitrates in my tank!? Meaning my tank is good
having algae in my tank as shown below is that that sign my cycle is complete?
mattgirl said:
the nitrate tube is a very much darker yellow to my eye compared to the yellow tube for ammonia I wouldn’t say it’s orange but it’s is definitely a darker yellow than the other yellow tube that represents ammonia

mattgirl

yaboy2021 said:

also if I experience an ammonia spike what should I do?
No, don't clean everything. This cycle is still fragile and can be harmed. Your tank is the one thing in your home you don't want to keep spotlessly clean. When time to rinse your filter media clean it gently in some water you have pulled from the tank during a water change. I wouldn't do any deep cleaning of the substrate for at least 6 months.

If decor needs algae cleaned off don't clean all of it at the same time. If algae is growing on the glass scrape it off with an expired credit card. Don't clean all the glass at the same time. Bacteria is getting established on all the surfaces in this tank. Try not to disturb all of it at the same time.

If the ammonia spikes over .25 once new fish are added get it down with a water change. Don't freak out over .25 That amount isn't going to hurt your fish. I will recommend you have a bottle of Prime. Add it when you do your water change. It will protect your fish long enough for the bacteria to clean out the ammonia the extra fish are going to produce.

yaboy2021

mattgirl said:
No, don't clean everything. This cycle is still fragile and can be harmed. Your tank is the one thing in your home you don't want to keep spotlessly clean. When time to rinse your filter media clean it gently in some water you have pulled from the tank during a water change. I wouldn't do any deep cleaning of the substrate for at least 6 months.

If decor needs algae cleaned off don't clean all of it at the same time. If algae is growing on the glass scrape it off with an expired credit card. Don't clean all the glass at the same time. Bacteria is getting established on all the surfaces in this tank. Try not to disturb all of it at the same time.

If the ammonia spikes over .25 once new fish are added get it down with a water change. Don't freak out over .25 That amount isn't going to hurt your fish. I will recommend you have a bottle of Prime. Add it when you do your water change. It will protect your fish long enough for the bacteria to clean out the ammonia the extra fish are going to produce.
Understood! I have prime and that’s what I’ve been doing water changes with would you recommend that I do one WC weekly from now on using prime?

I’m going to buy 2 more danios and one more snale for my tank and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels!

mattgirl

yaboy2021 said:
Understood! I have prime and that’s what I’ve been doing water changes with would you recommend that I do one WC weekly from now on using prime?

I’m going to buy 2 more danios and one more snale for my tank and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels!
I would. Fresh clean water is the very best thing you can do for your water pets. I have changed out 50% or more each week for many many years.

Latest threads

Top Bottom