Help! Albino Loach Is Lying On It's Side/back And Acting Disoriented!

Kat-The-Fish-Mom

I need some help and advice please. I've tried to look up a solution to my issue online and I can't seem to find any real answers.

I have an albino (not true albino, his eyes are black) dojo loach for about a year. He's always been a bit "special". He's got a crooked tail, he has gas issues, and one of his eyes is offset from the other. He's always been a happy fish despite his quirky anatomy.

When I got home from work, my fiance noticed that he was acting funny, breathing rapidly, and lying on his side. When he got disturbed by us, he swam around, but he was acting disoriented. He's barrel rolling when he does attempt to swim. He was fine this morning before all this happened.

We checked the water, and the nitrates were slightly up, but barely negligible. All the other things in the water tested fine. We did a 25 percent water change 3 days ago.

He lives in a community tank with various other species of fish including another dojo loach that's acting completely fine and normal. There's no sign of disease on him or the others.

The only other thing I could think of is that he may have bumped his head while rummaging around the tank and now is suffering neurological issues.. He's been digging around a corner of one of our big rock decorations a lot recently.

Lance0414

I do not know much about Dojos, Junne could help you. Have you tried fasting, that helps if it is a swim bladder problem.

Xionitex

Pics?

Kat-The-Fish-Mom

Update: He's sadly passed away....

Still wish I knew what happened to him.

I do not know much about Dojos, Junne could help you. Have you tried fasting, that helps if it is a swim bladder problem.
I've done fasting before with my betta. I did notice the dojo's rear tail rise up a bit after eating. Sadly he passed before I could do anything. Thank you for the advice though.

He sadly passed away before I could take some. Thanks for offering to help.

Xionitex

Update: He's sadly passed away....

Still wish I knew what happened to him.

I've done fasting before with my betta. I did notice the dojo's rear tail rise up a bit after eating. Sadly he passed before I could do anything. Thank you for the advice though.

He sadly passed away before I could take some. Thanks for offering to help.
He was possibly old and blind, how long did you have him for?

Edit: blind on the offset eye

EDIT 2: How could I possibly forget?!?!?!?! I feel so bad... are you okay?

Rtessy

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. My best guess is that since he seems to have several deformities, possibly birth defects, is that he also had some internal defects as well, especially because of the gas problems. To me, this seems like it was just his time, fish with defects on the outside generally have some on the inside as well, and they don't normally live that long. About how large was he?

Junne

I'm so sorry about your loss..... I just saw this post.

Maybe he may have eaten something too big/didn't digest, etc. I know with my dojo's, they are notorious for eating everything in sight, sometimes I have dropped in by accident a whole algae wafer and my one ate it before I could get it out! You know how big those wafers are and they do not dissolve very fast.

Whatever the case, if you have had him for this long with no issues except for the deformities, that may have been a contributing factor. In any case, I am sorry - its never easy losing a fish, especially when you do not know the cause. Hopefully your other fish are not affected.

Kat-The-Fish-Mom

He was possibly old and blind, how long did you have him for?

Edit: blind on the offset eye

EDIT 2: How could I possibly forget?!?!?!?! I feel so bad... are you okay?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm okay, just still sad he's gone. Thankfully the others in the tank are doing good and there have been no issues.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. My best guess is that since he seems to have several deformities, possibly birth defects, is that he also had some internal defects as well, especially because of the gas problems. To me, this seems like it was just his time, fish with defects on the outside generally have some on the inside as well, and they don't normally live that long. About how large was he?

We had him for about a year, and about 3 to 4 inches. He grew about an inch within that time frame.

Isobelle

I’m so sorry about your little buddy I’d imagine it was something genetic on the inside based on the outer quirks.

Kat-The-Fish-Mom

I'm so sorry about your loss..... I just saw this post.

Maybe he may have eaten something too big/didn't digest, etc. I know with my dojo's, they are notorious for eating everything in sight, sometimes I have dropped in by accident a whole algae wafer and my one ate it before I could get it out! You know how big those wafers are and they do not dissolve very fast.

Whatever the case, if you have had him for this long with no issues except for the deformities, that may have been a contributing factor. In any case, I am sorry - its never easy losing a fish, especially when you do not know the cause. Hopefully your other fish are not affected.

We've never had issue with him eating something too large for him, (Though our other loach that is bigger, does sometimes eat a whole pellet without nibbling on it) but all the other fish in the tank are doing good. It's like you said, it might of been complications from his deformities that may have cause his passing. Thanks for the condolences.

I’m so sorry about your little buddy I’d imagine it was something genetic on the inside based on the outer quirks.

Yeah, at this point that is what seems to be the case.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
2211Nighthawk
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
  • Question
Replies
Views
JazzyFish44