Help! Albino bristlenose pleco babies

1. Dojella Initiate Member

Help! Albino bristlenose pleco babies-updated

Tank info: 10 gallon tank with plenty of algae, 2 Whisper 10 filters (an in-tank and a hang-on-the-back), Temp 78F, pH 7.8, sand substrate, about 6 months old. 9x 2.5" fiesty semi-aggressive juvenile red zebras and 2x 2.5" albino bristlenose plecos.

My male pleco had been in the in-tank filter for a while and I was concerned he wasn't eating, so I pull out the filter cartridge and wait for him to swim out. He stayed in, but out flows a bundle of eggs. Since there are 9 aggressive always hungry cichlids in the tank, I netted the eggs and put them back in the filter and turned the filter off so they wouldn't flow back out. They immediately started hatching. There are about 15 little yolk-sac swimmers and 10 eggs. I have the filter just at the edge of the water to keep the babies in, but daddy somehow is able to go in and out and seems concerned for his babies.

Here is my concern: Without the filter on, the water inside the reservoir isn't getting circulated and so I am worried there isn't enough oxygen. (the other filter is on and is capable of keeping the rest of the tank in good shape).

So I worry about leaving the babies in their hideout since the water isn't getting circulated, but in the tank they'd be eaten by the cichlids.

UPDATE:

I moved the juvenile cichlids to my 55 gallon cichlid tank. (8" male Nimbochromis venustus, 3x 5" electric yellows, 4x 4" albino red zebras, 1x 5" convict, 2x 3" convicts, 3x 4" chinese algae eaters, and 2x 6" common plecos). So far the adult cichlids are just chasing them, but don't seem to want to do any real harm. The chinese algae eaters are being super aggressive. The juvenile cichlids are smaller than the algae eaters, so they should be able to find hiding places where the CAEs can't get to them.

I moved the filter down under the water line and will let the babies work their way out into the tank at their own pace. So now the parents have the whole tank to themselves to raise their babies. :)

I have included pics of the babies in the filter, momma and daddy, and the tank itself.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Pretty cool, keep us posted.
    I hope you have lots of fry!

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Adorable! :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Awwwwwww too cute! Best of luck and thank you for sharing your photos with us!
    Keep us posted.
    Ken

5. Toddnbecka Member Member

The main problem I foresee is the 10 gallon not being nearly large enough for one brood of fry to grow out, much less the ones that will follow. Since the BN have started spawning they're likely to continue regularly for months, with the broods getting larger as the female grows.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great pics...love the bn's...hoping mine will spawn (if i have a m/f combo that is LOL) congrats!!!!!