Help!! Aggressive Guppies

MollyC28

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI guys, my guppies(all male) are causing issues in my community tank. I have three platys, two female, one male. The guppies are constantly harassing the bigger female. There are tons of plants and hiding spots but it doesn't seem to help much. I know that I am overstocked but not by that much, so I don't know what else to do. Rehousing is not an option. Would the only option be to get a bigger tank? I am considering a 20 gallon. Is it certain that that would stop the harassment? I don't want babies, so I wouldn't want to add any more fish. If I did get a bigger tank, would adding more platys help?? I'm really stuck here

OnTheFly

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All male guppies is against their nature. Guppies breed and eat. 100 threads just like this one on the forum. If rehousing is not an option the only other choice is give them more space. A 55G might spread them out enough. A tank 4 inches wider won't accomplish anything.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Give away the females to avoid stressing them, the males will attempt to breed with anything this is their nature. Having an all male tank just prevents breeding, not always aggression (I have experienced chasing and excessive displaying when having all male tanks, the yellow tailed males experienced nipped fins).

OP
M

MollyC28

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I should try to rehome the females? Would that be the easiest solution?

OnTheFly

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Or it just causes the males to redirect aggression toward the other male guppies which is very common. It's hard to say what would happen.

Sel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had the same problem with one of my gups harassing my new platy but he quit the next day. I'm guessing the platy had enough and scared him off. I don't know. They're moving in a few days to a bigger tank anyway, thank goodness.

saberfun

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We have 4 male guppies, no female guppies along with 2 molly, 3 red tetras and an african dwarf frog in a 65 gallon tank. The guppies are all jerks to each other, they don't bother the other fish in the tank. But they are constantly biting each others fins and chasing each other round and round. I'm never getting guppies again!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are the guppies hurting the platies, or are they just trying to mate? If they're not biting, you're probably fine to leave them together. Male platies are almost as persistent as male guppies so the females are used to it.

OP
M

MollyC28

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update: the female platy that they were bullying somehow jumped out of the tank and despite being alive when I found her, she didn't make it. I hate to say it but her loss kind of solved the issue. They were only harassing her and so now that she's gone, all of the fish seem happy. One of the platys (male) seems slightly frantic (I think looking for her) but I'm hoping he will settle down soon. All the fish are schooling together and healthy.

New Threads